Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

“Just say it.” I level my gaze at Ryan, my back straight and arms folded.

His gaze is hard and angry, “What are you doing Lea? This is not you. You don’t know this guy and all of sudden you standing in the corner holding hands and having deep conversations?”

I shake my head, “Firstly, we weren’t holding hands, he was holding mine. Secondly we were just talking, there was nothing deep about it.” I look away, trying to hide my lie.

Ryan grunts in disbelief, “So you agree that you don’t know him? We came here to find out what happened to your father after he left, not become buddies with his stuck up, asshole Jim-boy.” His voice is loud and enraged.

“Really Ryan? Have you realized that the fact that he’s so close to my father could mean that I could get the real story? He knows my father for years, knows his secret-“

“And you think he’s just going to sit down and tell you everything?” Ryan snaps.

I sigh, “No, I don’t. But if I could find out just a little bit more about everything, it, I don’t know, will be a win.” I didn’t sound convincing even to my own ears.

Ryan rubs his forehead, “You like this guy don’t you?”

My eyes widen, “What?”

“Come on Lea, how long have I known you? You wouldn’t put so much effort into someone who you just thought could give you some info.”

I look away in shame. It was the truth even if it made me sound as if I used people for my own benefit and then threw them away.

“He just seems different from other guys. He’s mature and almost wise,” I look out the apartment window, “I don’t know why, but I just find him intriguing.”

After a moment of silence I gaze at Ryan only to find him staring at me with a pained expression which he tries to hide by gazing away from me. What did I do?

“I can’t stop you from talking to him but just know that he seems dodgy to me. Plus with the way your father treated you, I just don’t like him.”

“You the one who always sees the good in others.” I whisper, hating that my best friend already looked down at my father.

“Love, I can only see good that’s actually there.” He steps forward and places a kiss on my forehead before leaving me alone in the lounge.

For the next few mornings Ryan and I run for an hour. I love the adrenaline that pumps through my veins whenever I do something physical. I’ve become addicted to it over the years. Unable to go for long without fighting or running or punching a bag, just to get that rush. Ryan called me a junkie.

Then we spar in the gym for about an hour and a half before calling it quits. Every day I try my damn best not to scan the area for Tyler. He doesn’t show up the entire week. I suspect that was the cause for Ryan’s good mood.

On Thursday when a gleeful Terrance comes back to the gym I thank him for inviting us to his party and tell him that I had a great time, to which he winks at me mumbling something about knowing what’s best.

Both Ryan and I refuse to go near the topic of Tyler or my father for the rest of the week until the day of the semi-finals. We’d come to an unspoken agreement that talking about those two just brought about unnecessary arguing. We didn’t do much ‘investigating’ during the week, rather we enjoyed Mike’s company, going out for supper, watching football, visiting Time Square. It’s the first time in a long time that I was willingly socialising and having fun. I’d almost forgot how it felt to have friends and do normal young people activities.