Chapter 6

Would you look at that! Two whole new chapters! It's because I'm sweet like that... 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 6:

“You going to give yourself diabetes.” Ryan scolds me as I shove another spoon of bubble-gum flavoured ice-cream into my mouth.

I give him a tight lipped smile, my mouth too filled with the coloured goodness. And the fact that I have brain freeze makes it impossible for me to reply.

“Either you really enjoying that ice-cream or you’ve got brain freeze.” Ryan smirks, while chewing away at his red velvet waffles.

“Bof.” I mumble around my mouthful.

We are currently sitting in an ice-cream bar situated close to Mike’s apartment, celebrating my win. This is Ryan and mines tradition for the past few years. After every win, depending on which one of us was fighting, the other would buy ice-cream. Mike declares that he had to meet a few of his buddies for a late-night screening of a new sci-fi movie.

I hold my ice-cream glass against my cheek which is still stinging from my lapse in defence earlier in the night. My cheek has turned a lovely shade of blue-purple. But I guess in this case I could always use that line; “You should see the other guy”.

There are just eight male and female fighters left in the competition. The next round will be taking place next week Friday. Apparently this competition is being monitored by some big fishes and it needs to fit their schedule which means we have to wait a full week before our next fight. I wasn’t complaining. It gave me a chance to train, regain my strength and heal from any injuries. The best pro is hands down the fact that I have a lot more time to snoop around. Mike promises to show us the best places in the area to get any information about Mr Lucas Wesley.

“Your ice-creams melting.” Ryan’s voice breaks through my thoughts and I realize I’m staring into space while stirring my ice-cream around the glass.

I scoop some into my mouth, eating more like a human and less like an ape.

“Did you talk to your dad?” I ask Ryan, trying to keep the conversation from finding my problems.

“I’ll call him tomorrow,” he wipes his hands on his napkin, “what about you?”

I raise my eyebrows, “Well I would call him but he seemed rather occupied tonight, while he watched me fight and not knowing he was watching his daughter.” I joke, knowing he wasn’t talking about my father.

Ryan smiles before leaning forward and flicking my nose, “Smart-ass, you know I was talking about your mother.”

“I think she’ll be fine without me calling her. Besides I barely spoke to her when I was living with her, what makes you think I’ll be able to have a conversation with her over the phone.” I scoop the last bit of my ice-cream into my mouth before pushing my glass away.

Ryan shakes his head, “Maybe because you not looking at each other and now you might have a better understanding on why your mother argued with your father.”

I love Ryan, but sometimes the way he could always hit the nail on the head rattled me. He is so much more observant than me. He just seems to understand people as if it is what he did for a living. A world-class shrink in the making.

I know exactly what he’s getting at. Could I have been blind to my father’s true colours all this time? Seeing him as something I wished he was. Could he have been this serious, icy person with my mother which would undeniably lead to arguing and fights and eventually divorce?