THIRTY SIX

The hearing for FP was in mere hours, and while Cheryl had succumbed to Betty's threats, Manic had not.
Cheryl respected her friends decision, but it didn't cease the worry that was pooling in the pit of her stomach.
If the video of Jason's death was released it would mean that Cheryl's wounds would forever be open, but it meant so much more for Manic.
It meant that serpent loyalty only went so far, that the loyalty the gang had to her, only went so far.
Just like how Madelyn not speaking would prove that her family loyalty only went so far.
So, as Cheryl readied herself that morning, she silently prayed that Madelyn would come to her senses. That the shorter redhead would realize that her loyalty to her family was just as important as her loyalty to Jason.

It was almost noon by the time Madelyn Jones showed up at Thistlehouse, the Blossoms' new residence. Cheryl was still holding out hope, but when she opened the door and saw the distraught on her friends face, she knew it was time to let it go.
"Maddie? What's wrong?" Cheryl asked, placing a hand on Madelyn's back and guiding her into the house.
"I feel like I'm drowning, Cher. I know what the right thing to do is, but I just can't do it. Cheryl, I loved Jason more than I've loved anyone else, I still do, and my father knew that. Yet, he still played a part in covering up his death, in covering up my own attempted death. He turned his back on me, just to save the Serpents. He always does."
"Maddie, you know why I'm speaking, so trust me when I say this. Do what will make you happy, what will feel right to you. If you can't forgive FP, don't. But, if you can, do it."
Madelyn kept her eyes on the floor as they walked to Cheryl's bedroom, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"Madelyn kept her eyes on the floor as they walked to Cheryl's bedroom, trying to keep the tears at bay

"Ms.Blossom, you may proceed with your statement," the judge spoke.
Cheryl, who was currently in the stand, looked over to Madelyn, who was seated in the first row on the opposite side of her family.
"Your honor," Cheryl spoke clearly, "I speak for myself and my mother when I say we forgive FP for the part he played in covering up my brother's murder and the attack on Madelyn Jones, and we humbly ask the court for leniency. FP's guilt has been blown out of proportion to satiate what my father's suicide could give us. Closure."
Madelyn gave a reassuring nod when Cheryl's eyes met hers once more, ignoring the not so subtle glancing thrown her way by both members of her family.
"As much as I sympathize," the judge began, taking a glance at the redhead sat in the audience as well, "I cannot ignore the quality of Mr.Jones crimes, not only in regards of your brother, but also Forsythe's own daughter. There were no extenuating circumstances', for either cases."
As these words were spoken, you could almost feel the pain on FP's face as he was reminded about the fact that he had not only covered up the murder of his daughter's first love, but also her attempted murder.
"My father threatened him," Cheryl threw out after catching Betty's silent threat to leak the video, "I overheard them talking in daddy's study. Daddy said he would hurt Jughead if FP didn't comply, and that he would finish what he started with Madelyn, as well."
Madelyn's heart dropped at this news, and she had to wipe away a tear as it rolled down her cheek. Cheryl gave her a grim look, not wanting to have told her this news, before finishing.
"Is that extenuating enough?"

After the judge declared that further investigating would be done before a verdict was reached, Madelyn sat in silence as the rest of the courtroom filed out.
Cheryl had to sign some papers, saying that what she had said was true, and had told Madelyn to wait in her seat for her.
What neither of them had thought of, was that Jughead and Betty would stay back as well.
The pair were talking with FP, celebrating their somewhat victory, when they noticed the redheaded Jones.
She was staring at the place that Cheryl had just sat at, her jaw clenched and nose scrunched as she was lost in thought.

Jughead noticed his father's painful glance at his twin, and sighed.
"She'll come around, Dad. She always does," Jughead muttered.
FP shook his head sadly, "I don't think you know her as well as you think you do. I'm afraid that she's not this time."
"She's already back with the Serpents, Dad. Madelyn will forgive you too."
"Running with the Serpents isn't the same, Jughead. They may be like family to her, but I'm still her actual family. And, if I've learned anything, forgiving your family for doing you dirty is a whole damn lot harder."

Later that day, as Betty Cooper tried her hardest to save the diner of death, Madelyn rallied together her serpent friends, both new and old, together.
The four of them-Madelyn, Toni, Sweet Pea, and Fangs- all decided that Pop's was one place worth saving to both the south and the north.
And so, the four threw on their serpent jackets and rode their bikes to the merry little diner that had become a place of affection for many.
When they arrived at the diner, they didn't miss the glares thrown their way by the Northsiders. They did, however, ignore them.
The serpent teens walked into the diner with their backs straight and heads held high, a smirk on their faces as they met each and every glare thrown their way.
Sweet Pea, Fangs, and Toni all day down at a booth on the left side of the diner while Manic grinned at Pop Tate and made her way to her brother.
"So I see operation save Pop Tate's worked out," Madelyn said as she reached the booth her brother and his friends sat at.
Jughead looked up at his twin, unsure of what her motives were.
"Relax, Juggie," Manic rolled her eyes, "I'm not here to go all psycho bitch on you."
Jughead glanced at his girlfriend, who was noticeably uncomfortable, "Yeah, I guess it did."
"That's good. You know, that at least some people fought for Pop." The redhead said awkwardly.
Sweet Pea, from their table, could tell that Manic was uncomfortable.
"Mad! Come on," he shouted, a whinny tone to his voice as he playfully threw his head back and pouted at her.
Madelyn looked over to the male serpent who had somewhat wiggled his way into being her friend, a hinted smile on her lips.
Jughead, Archie, Betty, and Veronica all searched for the guy who had called out for the redheaded serpent, most hiding a cringe as they saw it was another serpent. One who just so happened to be joined by two others at his booth.
Looking back to her brother and his friends, Manic pursed her lips and gave a forced smile, giving the group a nod of acknowledgment before walking back to her friends.