SEVEN

SEVEN [Madisyn "Freak" Simms]

"Madisyn!"

I froze in surprise the next morning on my way to my tutor room as everyone else did the same. But for different reasons. Me because it was my name being called. Everyone else because Zero didn't call out to people like he just did.

"Whose Madisyn?" I heard a girl I passed in the hall ask.

I didn't waste energy on letting them know it was me. They only knew me as the Freak, and while it hurt, I liked it.

"Madisyn! Wait up!" he was closer. A hand gripped me on my shoulder, spinning me around. "Not talking to me is one thing, Madisyn, ignoring me completely is another," Zero growled at me.

"That's Madisyn?" I heard the girl ask. "Wait, why does Zero want to talk to her?" Her was said as though I was nothing more than dirt.

I saw Zero tense as he heard the girl as well. "Because she's one of the few that isn't a slut around here." I looked up at that in surprise to see him staring at the girl with a look in his eye that made her back down.

Before the girl could reply, Zero was pushing me into an empty classroom and closing the door. We were silent until Zero shoved his hand in his back pocket, pulling out a sheet of paper.

"I hadn't realised until last night that I still had that picture of the cats you drew," he said, stretching his hand out towards me with the page.

"Thanks," I replied, taking the image. He grinned as I thanked him. "But once I've got it onto canvas, I won't need it... Do–Do you want it back?"

He looked at me with a look of surprise on his face. "Huh?"

"You can have the canvas piece too if you want."

He blinked at me as though he wasn't sure he was actually sure I was talking.

"You'd give me the sketch and the canvas piece?" he asked in shock.

I shrugged.

When he smiled, he made me think of a little boy on Christmas getting the present he'd wanted all year. But then his smile dropped and so did my heart. I wanted him to smile. I wanted to see a happy light in his eyes rather than the cruel, weary looks he gave to others. I wanted him happy.

"But I don't have any money..." he looked up at the ceiling, and at that moment, I wished I had a camera to capture him as the light hit him just right. As he stood looking like a warrior. A thinking warrior, but a warrior nevertheless.

He clicked his fingers, making me jump at the sudden noise. "I'll look after you. I'll protect you from guys like... that guy yesterday. Deal?" He grinned and continued as though I didn't have a choice in the matter. "Then it's sorted. I'll protect you and you give me the sketch and final piece."

I just blinked at him as he approached. Where was the Bad Boy everyone called him? Where was this sweet and kind side coming from? I felt stupid for not questioning it earlier. Why was he being nice? What did he want? And why did he look so excited about having a picture? I didn't understand.

I didn't realise how close he'd gotten until he next spoke, making me realise that I was staring at his chest which was inches from my face. "Where'd you go, Madisyn?"

I blinked and titled my neck to look up at him. "I'm here."

He shook his head, flicking my forehead gently. "In here. Where'd you go?"

"I–I was thinking."

He grinned. "About?"

"You."

A look of surprise told me that I'd caught him off guard. "Me?"

I nodded.

"What about me?"

"Why are you being nice to me?"

A thoughtful look crossed his face. Nothing was said as he thought about his answer. "When I first saw the picture you did... I knew I had to meet you. I knew that, from when we met in the park, that you were different. That you were like me. An outcast. We both live in this society, yet, neither of us are truly apart of it." He grinned as I jumped at the bell that signalled it was time for next lesson. "There's one more thing before you go. If you ever feel like fooling around, let me know. I'll lend you my body whenever you want. Saves you going after that assistant."

Then with a smirk and a wink, he was turning for the door. I blinked after him in shock as my skin felt like I'd just been put in an oven to cook.

Just as he opened the door, and walked out, I remembered what he'd looked like as he'd stood there like a thinking warrior. And then I did the most stupidest thing I could have done. I followed him out, then took him up on his offer. "Will you lend me your body?"

I heard the bang as he swivelled to turn to look at me, smacking his face into the lockers as he did. I winced for him. That sounded really painful.

"Hey, Blade, come on, lesson's starting!" came from Duster down the hall.

But Zero was ignoring him. Staring at me in shock. "What?"

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"What did you ask me?"

I shuffled as I realised that I probably shouldn't have asked, but... "Will you be my model?"

Vote? Comment? Thank you!