FOUR

FOUR [Blade "Zero" Kiren]

She still hadn't said anything. And then Ryan, the idiot, had butted in. I glared at my friend, whose head I felt like slamming into the desk to break his god damn face.

"What?" Ryan said in that tone that he knew exactly what they did yet they were going to play innocent.

As soon as the bell had gone, so had she. Picking up everything she had with her, she scooted out of her chair and then on keeping desk between us, she walked to the front of the classroom before turning for the door. I still didn't get her. What had I done to her?

As I stood, I made sure Ryan could see that I was pissed with him. I'd seen the moment of relief in her eyes when Ryan had tried to distract me. It was the only reason I'd responded to him.

"Leave that one alone, Blade," Ryan said with a sigh. "Find and use another girl, but not her."

I blinked at my friend. Where was this protective side coming from? He was as much of a use'em'and'dump'em as I was. Yeah, I admit that I used girls. But they were asking to be used. I felt a scratch of annoyance claw it's way up as I saw Lucy waiting for me by the door. Do'em once and then they cling for a second round. Typical. But I'd told them that once was enough. Any more than once made it personal. So what if that sounded heartless. It was the truth.

"Why not?" I asked, wondering where Ryan was taking this.

"She's cute... but she's a strange one," Ryan said, shoving my shoulder to make me walk. I gave him a warning glance as he continued. "I was in her class in secondary school. I think it was maths we shared... I bumped into her by accident and she freaked. That, and she just doesn't talk to anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if she was an actual mute."

"She talks in class," I defended, surprising both Ryan and myself.

After a moments pause, in which time, Lucy wrapped herself around my arm like a monkey wanting a banana, Ryan asked his next question. "What happened yesterday?"

"What happened with who?" Lucy asked, immediately wanting to know everything.

We both ignored her and I replied to Ryan's question. "I asked her for directions to the hospital. She drew me a map, gave it to me without a word, then left."

"I'm telling you, leave her alone."

"What's your problem?" I demanded.

Ryan sent me a glare. "Nothing. I'll see you later."

"Are you talking about the Freak?" Lucy asked as Ryan walked away.

"What are you on about?" I asked her, moving for my next class.

"The girl you were talking to."

"Which one?" I asked to avoid answering.

"The Freak. The Mute. The one who draws and never speaks."

"What's her name?" I asked instead.

It was painful to know that Lucy really had to think about another's name. Especially when she was one of those who knew all and everything about them. She was a gossiper at heart. Which was another reason I wanted nothing to do with her.

"Um... I think it's May? No, that's not right... Um... That's it! Madisyn, Madisyn Simms, I think."

Madisyn Simms? Unique girl, unique name.

"Why do you want to know?" Lucy asked.

I frowned at her. That was always the price with getting information from Lucy. She wanted to know why you wanted it. Although, if my eavesdropping was right, I was the only one she would give information to first then ask after, for everyone else, it was the other way around. And then most of the times I did get information from her, I never told her why. Of course that just led to her pestering me, but eventually she'd give up. She always did.

"Where's your next class?" I asked.

"History."

Thank god. "Bye then, I've got English."

"Huh, oh, okay, I'll see you later."

Not if I have anything to say about it, I thought as I got myself out of her clinging grip and headed for my next lesson. Because while I couldn't be bothered with school, I promised Quinn and Jess that I would go. Which sucked. Of course, my mind changed it's tune when I saw her in my class. A girl I now had a name to. Madisyn Simms.

She was sat in the same seat as she'd been in last period, only it was in a different classroom. Staring at the kid who was in the seat I wanted, once I had his attention, I made a head motion for him to shift it or else. He moved so fast I didn't break a stride as I walked up to the seat and sat.

Glancing at Madisyn, I wondered if she was genuinely oblivious to my entrance or whether she was very good at ignoring. I decided on the first when she suddenly stiffened, as though finally sensing my gaze on her. Her olive coloured eyes peeked through a curtain mixed brown hair. Her glance didn't last long, a second, if that, before she turned back to the page in front of her. Following her gaze, I saw pictures. Small but detailed and quick. Those were doodles? My mind perfectly pictured the image of the mother cat and kitten. Had that been another doodle? If so, what were her non-doodle's like?

"They're really good," I complimented. She ignored me. "You can stop ignoring me, you know. I know you're not deaf."

She shoulder's folded then for a moment before returning to how they were.

"Mr. Kiren, can you please be quiet so that I can start my lesson?"

Glancing at the teacher who I hadn't realised had entered, I shrugged. "Teach away, Ma'am."

She seemed slightly shocked at my words. But nevertheless, she started the lesson. Tapping another guys shoulder, I nodded at his pad. "Can I borrow a sheet and a pen?"

The nerdy looking kid blinked at me before moving to rip out a sheet of paper before handing it to me with a black ball-point pen.

"Thanks."

The kid nodded in response, turning back to what the teacher was saying.

I wrote on the paper, glancing at Madisyn.

I HAVE THAT PICTURE YOU DREW OF THE MOTHER HOUSE CAT AND HER KITTEN.

Folding the sheet so that it was a rectangle smaller than my palm, I aimed and was successful at making the note reach Madisyn. If she couldn't talk to me, maybe she could write to me. I watched as she stared at the note. She stared at it with a mixed look of fear, horror, and curiosity. I knew it was the later that had her opening the note. Slowly but surely she opened the note. She gasped as she read the words I'd written.

"Are you all right, dear?" our teacher asked Madisyn.

Madisyn nodded, and the moment she glanced at me after the teacher had gone back to teaching, I knew I had her.

Vote? Comment? Thank you!