ELEVEN

ELEVEN [Madisyn "Freak" Simms]

Sitting in tutor time waiting for our tutor to enter, I was – as was everyone else – surprised when we saw Zero enter before our tutor.

"Well, there's certainly a first time for everything," I heard Duster mutter.

Zero's dark eyes found mine before I looked away. I shouldn't feel hurt. I had no right to that feeling. I had no right to feel hurt all because he hadn't turned up yesterday as he'd promised.

"Madisyn–" I reflexively looked up at my name coming from his soft voice. But looking at him from where he was now sat, all I saw was the back of an expensive cream coloured jacket.

"Hey, Zero," Lucy said, the owner of the expensive jacket.

Zero ignored her, speaking to me as though she'd never appeared. As though she wasn't standing between us. "I'm sorry I didn't make it. I had to make up for lost time at work."

Like Zero had ignored her, Lucy ignored his words to me. "Can you take me out tonight?"

I shrugged in reply to Zero's words, as though I didn't care.

I heard his sigh, but then he replied to Lucy. "No. I'm not cheating on my girl."

"Your girl?" Lucy asked with a touch of jealously.

"My car, my girl, she'll think I'm cheating on her if another girl gets in her."

"Seriously?"

"Her rules."

"Would you let the Freak in her?" Lucy asked. I heard cloth move across cloth as Lucy crossed her arms over her chest.

"She hasn't met Madisyn."

"She hasn't met me."

"She's heard about you."

"Lucy," Duster called out. "Give up, he's not going to let you get in his car."

"That's not fair!" Lucy exclaimed.

"Why not?" Zero asked.

"Because... Because!"

The trio went quite after that, a moment later, Lucy let out a noise crossed between annoyance and disgust. "Whatever, Zero," pushing herself off my desk, bumping it to make it rattle, bumping it hard enough that the paper I was holding with my right hand, cut my hovering finger on my left hand. Sliced it as the bump made my hand move towards the other in a slight slicing movement. I hissed in a breath at the sudden sharp pain.

Zero was suddenly in front of me, staring at the cut on my finger. There was a strange frown on his face before he turned and send Lucy a glare. Grabbing my non-cut hand was enough to shock me into follow his tugging up and out the classroom. It wasn't until we were walking into the girls bathrooms where a shocked girl squealed that I managed to find my voice.

"What are you doing?"

He didn't reply and ignored the girl telling him to get out. Instead, he turned the tap on, gave the girl his back, and pushed my cut finger under the water. It was only as he turned to grab a couple of paper towels that he spoke. "Paper cuts hurt like a son of a bitch, huh?"

I just gave him a nod. Watching him watch the blood go down the sink with that strange frown back on his face. "Are you all right?"

He gave me a smile, but it wasn't real. It was nothing like the smile he'd given me before. He pulled my hand away from the water and then with a gentleness that he didn't look like he possessed, he dabbed my finger dry.