TWO

TWO [Blade "Zero" Kiren]

I shook my hand out of it's clenched fist as I thought about the stranger that had told me to go the complete wrong way. Thank god for that girl in the park. Even if she'd been a little weird. And cute. I didn't recognise her from anywhere. But then, I didn't remember half the girls from last term either. But something told me that she hadn't been apart of that crowd. Too shy. Too quiet. Too withdrawn.

I smacked my head with the heel of my hand to stop my thoughts about the girl that wore clothes that were miles too big for her. Glancing left, I realised that with a five minute walk, I'd be back at my bike. Never was I going to take directions from anyone again. Unless it was from her. Damn, I hadn't even got her name. As I thought about it, entering the hospital, I hadn't heard her voice either. She'd just shoved the page in my hand, turned and left. I wonder what had made her flinch from me? Surely I hadn't met her before? I was almost certain I'd never hurt her?

Grinning at the lady sitting at the reception, I asked for Mr. Philips's – a.k.a. Quinn's, a.k.a. my trainer's – room. Now having the number of his room, I left her. Sure, she'd been pretty, and on most days I would have flirted, but today, I had that girl in my head. That made me frown. A girl had never been in my head. Not even the ones I'd satisfied myself with. They were there for the deed then they were out. None had ever lingered in my head. And that girl hadn't even spoken to me.

Knocking on the door where the reception lady had said Quinn would be, I grinned as I heard Jess Sae, Quinn's current girlfriend of eleven months, a record for him, scold Quinn for whining at not wanting visitors. But as soon as the door was open and Quinn saw that it was me on the other side, a grin appeared on his face.

"Get your back-side in here, Blade," Quinn growled in a playful manner. "I've been going out of my mind with that witch telling me I can't leave."

"Who?" I asked in amusement. It was nice to feel something other than tiredness. Something of which I was feeling too much of as of late.

"Her," Quinn coughed to disguise his voice.

Jess raised a brow at him, but otherwise ignored him, returning to her seat next to him. Giving him a kiss on the cheek before she sat, pulling her platinum hair that fell to her waist over one shoulder so that it looked like a living animal curled at her side. Looking around the room, her emerald eyes found me. "Grab the seat," she made a head motion to the chair on the other side of the bed.

"Thanks."

Moving for the chair, I looked the couple over. Jess looked normal, if a little paler, and she now had dark bags under her eyes. She wore her usual, dark blue jeans, a light coloured top and Quinn's old racer jacket for whenever he wasn't driving. A jacket he'd never wear again.

Quinn's thick brown hair was messed up, something that it wouldn't be out of the hospital. He was only twenty-seven where Jess was twenty-five. His shiny green eyes looked like a mirror, and his skin was a shade darker than those with mixed coloured skin. But there was a huge difference with Quinn, and he being my trainer, and one of my closest, one of my very few friends, it actually managed to make a lump form in my throat...

"How bad was it?" I asked, I wasn't really sure I wanted the answer. I mentally hit myself for sounding like a sissy.

"Bad," Quinn replied. Knowing exactly what I was talking about. His eyes shone more than normal. "The doc said that it's a miracle my whole body wasn't... that it's a miracle I survived."

Neither of us wanted to accept the truth. I refused to look at Jess. Knowing that she'd be giving us a look saying that we should both bawl our eyes out, accept the truth, and continue on with our lives. Yeah, I was a wuss when it came to the looks Jess could give.