Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four
Coping

Body aching and swollen eyes seemed to be just one sympton of the weekend I've had. Once I woke up that's all I saw and felt. It was like a zombie leaving his grave for the first time in a century, just aching to see a familiar face and feast on a brain or two.

Like any normal mourning zombie, I poured myself a bowl of cereal and decided not to bother Sarah. It just seemed that not waking Sarah was the smarter option. It felt good to have a few moments to myself, so I could watch the news and think by myself. Maybe even contemplate the meaning of life.

Being by myself just felt like a breath of fresh air while it would last. Over the past day or two, that's all I've wanted and all I've gotten. Sarah had not bothered me once since I shut myself into the bedroom. I'd lost track of time as well it seems. It felt like it was only an hour ago that I came home from the hospital with no intention to stop crying.

The morning news seemed interesting enough, helping me focus on things such as new taxes or school funding, anything but reality. Until they began to mention the death of my mother and suspicions it was by unnatural means. That was more than likely just to raise support for the gay community, and I hated it. It felt like my pain and my family were being used to further the argument of people's injustices toward gay people.

I didn't ask for any of this! I didn't want any of this. I've lost my mother and the last thing I want is to see it on the news or be asked questions about it.

I had to change the channel to some rerun of Supernatural to ease the ache in my chest. Why was it so interesting to the world? Why was one injustice meant to cause strife for the one in the middle yet benefit everyone else? Where was the justice in that? 

Finishing up my cereal, I found Sarah stirring in her sleep and waking as I went into the bedroom to change my clothes. Changing into a pair of jeans, boots, and sweater, I checked the small clock by the bed and realized what today was with a heavy heart. 

"December sixth?" I muttered aloud as I grimaced, "It's almost Sarah's birthday."

My birthday had come and passed, and I felt guilty. I mean, what kind of party would Sarah have? She's turning eighteen and at best, she'd get a makeshift birthday cake and hug from me. Perhaps I'd get help from Ashley and Aiden. Hopefully. Well, I shouldn't worry now, but once I get to school I can run the idea past the both of them.

As I put my bookbag straps over my shoulders, I exited the room as Sarah entered. Sarah was wiping the sleep from her eyes, "Good morning." She greeted before letting out a yawn.

Nothing came out in reply and I felt a huge weight grow inside of me as I fell to the couch she slept on. Why couldn't I just speak to her? 

Maybe it's because of what happened in my dream or should I say nightmare. Last night, as I tossed and turned, crying, trying to get some sleep, I had a dream. It was the fire that consumed my home. A God I didn't believe in, glaring at me through the fires, his eyes all I could see. Then his voice spoke like a fearsome thunder, booming.

"You turned against me. I'll take everything you love." Then the fire grew up the stairs, swallowing the house inch by inch until it would reach my now dead mother. Somehow I could see my mom in her room. Where she slept soundly, what little rest she could find in her sick life.

I shouted trying to fight through the flames to save her, but I was burnt and couldn't pass through the flames to my mother and could do nothing but listen to her screams.

"If you had never fallen in love with Sarah, your mother may be alive." He muttered in my father's voice before disappearing, the flames consuming me as I screamed, my shrieks almost harmonizing with my mother's.