Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen
Will You Never Forgive Me, Heart?

Driving straight was growing harder while I waited for Emily to speak. Her mouth gaped as she quickly hung up with Casey, her face in pure horror as she finally turned to me.

"Step on it. We need to get home." She ordered, her voice shallow as she tried to breathe in, as if she were some weak state of shock.

I nodded, "Okay, what's wrong, Em? You look like you were told the absolute worse news in the world."

Emily began crying then, shouting for me to hurry as she tried to suck it up to explain. It was hard for her. I assumed something happened to her mom, but my assumptions were demolished quickly as we saw a column of smoke in front of us. Her house was being engulfed in flames.

My breath caught itself in my throat as I prepared to yell, "Oh, my God!" Jetting the car onto the side of the road, a fire truck's siren began to close in.

Emily dashed past me and through the knocked down front door, Casey standing on the lawn, still on the phone. 

"Emily!" I screamed, running past Casey just as he grappled me with his arms, dropping his phone.

"What are you doing, Sarah?" He asked me, eyeing me as if I were crazy.

I fought against his hold as I desperately cried, "Emily and her family is in there! Let me go!" 

Casey's eyes rose to the house that was lit a flame, "You can't go in, it's too dangerous."

"The only other family I have left is in there, Casey! Let me go!" I demanded, ready to regret what I was about to do. 

As he started raise his arms from my waist to my upper chest, I stomped my foot on his toe, my boot surely bruising if not cutting his foot in his defenseless sneakers. Then, in my last desperate attempt, I turned and hit him with my right hook as the firemen started sprinting toward me. As fast as they sprint toward me, the faster I was to jump into the firey house.

Once I was in, I held my sleeve over my face, trying not to inhale too much smoke as I traveled into the fog like smoke, "Emily!" I shrieked, "Where are you?"

"Sarah?!" she responded, her voice echoing from up the stairs.

I began to head up the stairs as I noticed flames crawl into the living room, making their way to the kitchen slowly. Mostly the house was full of smoke, but I had no idea what shape upstairs was in. I intended to find out, though. 

Making my way upstairs, I could hear the firemen begin to step inside as I reached the top of the stairs. "Emily?" I shouted again, coughing as the smoke began to creep through my nostrils. Covering my face again, I heard Emily speaking to her father.

Feeling a wave of relief, I rushed into her father's room where I heard the voice. Emily and her parents were inside safe, her mother was laying on the bed, the room was still in okay shape, only the slightest bit of smoke as I shut the door behind me. Finding it easier to breathe, I stepped toward them.

"We have to get out of here. The fire is starting to completely take the entire house." I insisted, gazing at Emily's ashy face, as she glanced at me then back to her barely conscious mother. 

"I don't know if we can get her down there." Emily explained, her father picking her mother up into his arms.

Biting my lip, I scanned the room and caught my eye on the large window that lead out to the front part of the house, but as I reached for the window, I noticed the fire just outside it. Backing away, I cursed.

"We have no choice, Em. Let's get out of here before it gets worse!" I said again slowly opening the door, as the smoke speedily seeped into the room.