Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen
Action Causes Reaction

Sitting with Emily, I watched the nurse dab lightly on her bruised face as I tried to keep strong. Emily seemed to have no problem with it. She felt empowered knowing we could somehow fight back, but I knew it was truly not that simple for us. If we fight back, it will get worse, far worse than a couple of cuts and bruises. 

I confess, that I, too, feel empowered from the fighting back because God knows that Megan and I have been at odds before with beliefs and morals, especially surrounding the concerns with sexuality and the legality of it. She considers it nothing but sin, and that may be true. However, I truly believed - and still do - that love is love, and God would not create something he hates. God's rules are probably things we can't even begin to comprehend. These man-made rules are just man's attempt to please God.

But what do I know?

"Sarah," Emily whispered after wincing from a dab of alcohol, "are you okay? You look like you were thinking a lot about something."

"Yeah, I was. A lot, about a lot of things. Like the fact we plan on attacking Megan with a lawsuit. I really think we should let it die down, and forget about this." I told her honestly as her eyes searched mine, her free hand grabbing my own.

"You want to back out?" She questioned as I let my head droop down, "We finally have her running scared!"

I lowered my voice and stared into her brown eyes, "It's not about winning or scaring her. It's about being free from all that stuff, so we can live in peace the way we want."

"What do you suggest? We run away or something?" She asked dismissively as I faced her quickly.

"Yes." I spoke quickly as the nurse walked away to a medicine cabinet.

Trying to glance away, I couldn't find a safe place to look, it was either bright fluorescent lights or awkward medicine posters about a hundred different things. By the time the nurse returned, I could smell the piece of gauze she brought with her, it always had that wierd smell, the same smell of a hospital.

The nurse applied the gauze as I barely glanced that way in order to avoid the looks from Emily, or to see her face. Surely enough, I found myself glancing in her direction where she puffed out her bottom lip, looking as if she were either considering what I said or being completely stubborn. I couldn't be sure. I didn't want to stoop to Megan's level, and I certainly didn't want to endanger us further while we're in this God-forsaken town.

Just as the nurse turned away again to fill out a nurse's slip, Emily leaned closer and kissed my cheek, "We'll talk about it at home." She said joyly against my pale pink cheek.

I pecked her lips with my own right before the nurse swiveled around.

"You should be okay, now. You seem to be bruised especially on your ribcage, any harder of a kick, and you would have a couple broken ribs." She spoke to Emily as I interlocked my hand with hers, "I hope you can avoid any more altercations, Emily." She whispered to us before nodding for us to leave. 

The halls weren't completely empty as I helped lead Em to the guidance office. As people stared right into our faces with no real regard, we looked straight into their eyes and smiled. It made me feel powerful, but it made me nervous. Whenever I got nervous, my skin would get cold, and I'd get this shiver. I'd always make sure to keep it hidden, but I may end up stuttering. Another sympton of my extreme nervousness. 

Brushing it off, Emily and I at last made it to the guidance office where Mrs. Fletcher stood behind a desk. Before we could rush off to hide ourselves, her eyes caught mine and waved us in. Rolling my eyes I and Emily made our way inside where Megan's parents sat there with a smug and upset look on their faces.