Happy Beginning

The morning sun streamed through the hospital windows, rousing Amanda from a peaceful dream. Once she was out of that fog that comes with first waking, she smiled broadly and moved the hospital bed into a sitting position.

The nurse came in before the end of her shift. “How’d you sleep?”

“Pretty well. The pain is less today than yesterday, so the meds are working decently.”

“Do you think you’re ready to be discharged?”

“I don’t like being cooped up too much, so my brain is ready to go, and my heart is definitely ready. I guess it’s the doctor’s decision if my post-surgery body is ready.”

“He should be in shortly and congratulations on your wedding. You two are the cutest couple. I hope you are very happy together.”

“I appreciate that. Have a great day. Are you coming to the wedding? We only have about 20 of our best friends, so you are more than welcome. I have a tendency to bond with people who take care of me.”

“I’d be so thrilled to be there. I may take a short nap beforehand, if you don’t mind. This is my night so to speak. I sleep while the rest of the world functions. It’s one of the joys of being a nurse.”

“Two of my closest friends are nurses, and I don’t envy the night-shifters one bit. Thanks for doing it!”

The doctor walked in as the nurse was finishing up Amanda’s vitals. He asked the same questions, though more in depth than the nurse, and did a check on the surgical wound and the stitches.

“Amanda, you seem to be a fast healer. I think with proper care, you should be able to have the stitches out in a week or so. Take it easy. No heavy lifting, no strenuous activities, and no driving for at least two or three days after you need the narcotic pain relievers. Enjoy your honeymoon, but don’t be afraid to let him know if you are in pain, okay?”

“He’s a good man, doc. I know he’ll take good care of me. Am I allowed to travel? I live in Georgia, and he’s in D.C. We’ll be doing quite a bit of traveling at first until we’re settled in and decide where to live.”

“I think traveling is fine as long as it’s not by wagon or horseback. I want you to have a thorough post-surgical exam with your doctor next week if possible. If you have any unusual signs like redness, swelling, more intense pain, or fever, please have yourself checked immediately.”

“Thanks doc.” She signed her half of the discharge papers. “I’ll see you at ten, right?”

“I will be there.”

“Great. I have to start getting ready soon.”

“Well, we will leave you do just that. Have a great day!” He kissed her hand and gave the nurse his instructions for discharge.

____________________________

Cammie came in with several tote bags as Amanda was finishing breakfast. “Hi! Whatcha got here, Cammie?”

“Everything you need to be beautiful for your big day: make up, nail polish, and anything and everything for fixing your hair.  Did you get a shower yet?”

“Yes. I showered as soon as the doctor gave me the discharge papers. I’m ready to be pampered.”

“Good. So, how do you want your hair done?”

“Romantic up-do with cascading curls? Or just work your magic, and I’m sure it will be gorgeous.”

“And your nails?”

“Do you have a French manicure set? That would be perfect!”

“Got it! How about simple make-up, since you don’t wear much. You’re gorgeous naturally, so you don’t really need it at all. You are a little pale, so I’ll do a light blush and lip gloss. Let’s get started.”