Fear Has a New Name

Amanda, Marie, and Alyssa arrived at the hospital and called Paul to let him know they were there. He walked outside to greet them. The two ladies smiled, but were preoccupied with what could be happening.

“Let’s go in. I will take you to the private waiting room so we can talk without being overheard.” Paul said, not really explaining anything.

 The thought: ‘This cannot be good’ went through Amanda’s mind over and over, and Marie and Alyssa’s faces both said they were thinking the same thing.

Paul sat with Amanda on one of the hospital couches, but she was on edge so didn’t relax with him like she wanted. Alyssa and Marie took another couch.

“Okay. I was at my house and finished the calls I needed to make so I made my way back to your place. I saw a very fancy car drive past too slowly. That sent an unnerving feeling into my being. When I got there, no one answered the door.” Marie took a sharp breath. “I tried the doorknob, and the door swung open. I rushed through the house, searching anywhere and everywhere they might be. I remembered the playground, so I headed towards it. I searched and searched. I saw the same creepy car I had seen riding past your house. They were nowhere to be seen.” Alyssa’s face showed the horror of what he was beginning to say, and she was on the verge of crying, screaming, and fainting all at once. “I saw a double stroller by the bathroom, so I went in. Mig and Ed were both unconscious. Ed had a laceration on the back of his head, and Mig had multiple bruises and cuts. They put up a good fight, but I am guessing they were outnumbered. The kids were nowhere to be found. I’m sorry! I wish I had more news. We have a lead, and are following up at the address of the registered owner of the car. We suspect it’s none other than Roger, Allen’s dad.” Alyssa looked on the verge of collapse. Marie was not faring any better. Amanda looked mad as the devil. “I didn’t know Ryan Jameson was a police officer. He’s assigned to this case.” Alyssa’s face seemed to relax a little bit. “We also have the California team heading back to the airport and an APB out and an Amber Alert has been issued. Unfortunately, the hardest part is waiting. Is there anything you need before I take you to where Ed and Mig are?” Both ladies shook their heads “no” and just stood to follow Paul.

_________________________________________

Mig awakened to that sterile smell that accompanied every hospital he’d ever been in before. His head hurt like crazy. He hurt all over. No one else was in his room. “Hello? Is anyone around?”

An older, but not elderly, nurse came in and checked his vital signs. “You, sir, have some pretty good cuts and bruises. You looked like you received the raw end of the deal.”

“Yeah? You should see the other guy! I made sure he remembered me. And there were three more with him. We were outnumbered, but an old soldier and an old Marine gave ‘em what for! Did anyone find the kids? Some older guy came in and wanted them, but we made them sit in the bathroom stall and hide.” The nurse turned and left without saying a word. Paul and Amanda were approaching the desk when they heard her make the call that some children were in the bathroom stall. She must’ve known about the Amber Alert.

______________________________________

Paul called Ryan, kissed Amanda, asked for the keys from Marie, and headed back to the park. He was pulling up as Ryan’s patrol car was. He was out before Ryan and ran into the bathroom. “Lakota! Are you in here? It’s Paul. It’s safe to come out.” He’d not seen stalls that went ceiling to floor in a long time. He listened for a few minutes, then heard a little voice whisper, “Where’s Poppie Ed and Mr. Mig? They got hurt by those bad men.”

“The doctor at the hospital is making them all better. Can I open the door to make sure you and Laramie are okay? “

“Yes.”