Planning a Wedding and maybe a Funeral

The next morning, Amanda’s nurse came in. “How’re you feeling?”

“Considering I had a bullet and my spleen removed, I’d say I’m doing okay.”

“Good news. Doc said the NG tube can come out today. Oh, and Doc wants you to try to walk today. The secret is...”

“Not to rush things. I watched my fiancée do this a few days ago.”

“Okay. Let’s start by taking this tube out. It will feel strange coming out, and you may cough a little.” She pulled the tube out, and Amanda thought she’d throw up, but there’s wasn’t anything in her body to evict. “Now that we’re done with that, do you think you can sit up? We’ll let your body get used to that again. I know you sat for a little while yesterday, so this shouldn’t be too difficult for you.”

After the bed had Amanda completely upright, the nurse brought her some water. “How do you feel now?”

“The blood hasn’t made it to my head yet. Give me a few more minutes.”

“Are you so dizzy you can’t focus, or is it just a little bit?”

“Just a little bit. I’m sure I’ll adjust soon.”

Attempting to make small talk with Amanda, the nurse asked, “When’s the wedding?”

“Well, it was supposed to be today.”

“Oh, dear, I’m so sorry.”

“It really is okay. He’s a great guy and we’re getting married as soon as I’m out. Hopefully that won’t be too much longer. He’s waited almost a year for me.”

“Hang on to him. He seems like he will be worth it.”

“He is! I think I’m ready to try my sea legs.”

“Let’s start by putting some slip-proof socks on you. We don’t need you injured. I want you to put your hands on my shoulders for support.” Paul walked in just then, after knocking.

“Do you want any help from me or should I just stay out of the way?” He asked, watching with excitement as Amanda became mobile again for the first time in days.

“You can come over here and hold her arm for support. When she is able to stand, we’ll have her try to go all the way to the bathroom, okay?”

She seemed to be standing okay, so the nurse asked, “Do you feel like you can walk?”

Amanda acknowledged with a dip of her head, and took a tentative step forward. She was wobbly at first, but soon gained her confidence. With Paul on one side and the nurse on the other, she slowly made it to the bathroom. “My first steps to independence. Can I brush my teeth please? Later, I want to shower.”

“Sure.” Paul had her toothbrush and some toothpaste ready. He knew she’d want to do some basic grooming as soon as she was able. He stood there with her while the nurse quickly changed the bed sheets and brought a new gown for her.

The doctor came in as Amanda was slowly moving back to the bed. “Good progress is always what a doctor likes to see. You should be able to eat soft foods today.”

“Is steak on that list? I want a steak and a baked potato so badly right now I’m almost drooling thinking about it.”

”Not yet. Your stomach would reject that right now. By tomorrow night, you should be able to eat a whole meal.”

Amanda looked genuinely sad about that. “I guess jell-o, soup, and popsicles will do for now.”

Paul stifled a chuckle. “When you are released, if the doc says okay, I’ll take you out for a steak. I promise.”