Fraction of A Second

Reynolds had his marching orders, so to speak, and called Rob with the specifics. They would meet up in the room as planned before. There was only one change to the plan; where the meeting would actually take place.

________________________________

 While Al was keeping an eye on the front of the hotel, alternating his watch with the back of the hotel, Ray and Ryan used the key to room 307. Alyssa asked for the key to the adjacent room. Josh and Amanda, along with the just-discharged Paul, would be there in time for the “meeting” to start.

She went in by herself, following the directions that were given to her, and sat in the living area, waiting for someone to arrive. She had been fitted with a wire in her clothes, which was uncomfortable to say the least. She even had a bud in her ear so she could hear the guys in the next room. They encouraged her and made her laugh.

Hands grabbed her as a black bag came over her face. Very strong arms gripped hers in a tight hold that was sure to leave bruises. She tried to nod in agreement. Hopefully the guys could see what was going on. She felt them all but drag her to her feet, and, she managed to get two in before they force-walked her out of the room. She was glad for her keen sense of direction. They walked her to an elevator on the other side of the hall away from the one near the room.

____________________________________

A few minutes later, Ray and Ryan came back in off the balcony, laughing at a joke. Ray checked the screen. “Oh man! She’s gone! Alyssa? Can you hear me? Alyssa?” They burst through the door that joined the two rooms. Ray went towards the bed and bath part of the room, and Ryan went towards the seating and dining area. They checked behind doors, inside closets, out on the balcony, which was oddly barred, and even under beds.

Ray called Josh. “She’s gone.”

Josh answered, “What do you mean?”

“We went out for a quick smoke, came in and she was gone.” Ray sounded panicked.

“Try to stay calm, Ray. Check the surveillance videos and see if you can tell what happened. We’ll be there in ten minutes, okay?”

“Okay. I’ll do that. I’ll see you when you get here.”

Al came up to the room. “I got the license plate number, but did not get to her in time,” he said breathlessly. He took a moment to regain his breath and then continued. “They’re driving in a silver car; a Honda Accord, and headed south. I managed to stick a tracker under the bumper as they sped off.”

Ryan was already rewinding the tape. Ray was on with the Police Officer that was supposed to be helping them make the arrest.

___________________________________

 She was thrown into a vehicle that sounded like a small car, but she wasn’t sure. Alyssa had always been very good at knowing her surroundings. Her head bumped hard against the window. At least, she said in her thoughts, they didn’t put her in the trunk. Hopefully they’d reveal who they were before too long. She didn’t recognize the voice speaking to her, but she knew who some of the assailants were. Allen and Melanie, both a shock to her, had turned themselves in to the authorities. That much she knew. She didn’t know who was behind this, but she wanted to in the worst way. She wanted to face this spiteful soul and ask why as well as give them a piece of her mind. No one threatens her kids, and she was fighting mad.

The ride seemed to take hours. The car even stopped twice, but she knew she wasn’t alone. She could hear the abductor breathing, smell his sweat mixed with his deodorant, and the other one’s lack thereof. Something was familiar about that first one. She’d smelled it before. She was really thirsty, but didn’t dare ask for anything. She remembered the bug in her ear, which was not only a listener but a tracker as well, and the wires on her body, though out of range now, were also taps that could be used if the police found the transmission channel. She knew it wouldn’t be long before they caught up with her. She prayed it wouldn’t be too late. She wanted desperately to hug her children.