Chapter 16

Liv was busy chatting away with her best friends towards the end of the baby shower. She couldn't bring herself to focus on what exactly they were talking about because she was worried about Ben. She looked across the room to where he was speaking with his mom and sister and watched him shrug and nod occasionally. Before she could tear her eyes away from him, his eyes caught hers. He stared for about two seconds before looking away uncomfortably. 

Awkward. 

That was the perfect word to describe the way Liv felt around Ben, especially after accidentally mentioning why laundry use to be so fun for him. But other than the awkwardness from that conversation She knew something was bothering him the moment she saw him when he picked her up for their doctor's appointment. He was quieter, less enthusiastic, and just not himself. She knew he was just pretending nothing was bothering him but she knew something was wrong. No matter what she did or said to make him feel better, nothing worked. He still seemed off. Usually, it was Liv who needed cheering up. Ben was always so cheerful and happy but today he wasn't himself and Liv didn't know what to do. She was never good at being affectionate and comforting so it was difficult for Liv to make Ben feel better. 

Whenever she was down, Ben knew just what to do to make her feel better. And even if she stubbornly refused to let him cheer her up, he still managed to lift her spirits. 

 ***

Liv moved around her apartment aimlessly with a scowl on her face. She had just heard that her father's wife had just given birth to their third child from her mother and she was furious. Not because her father had a child with woman other than her mother but because her father didn't even think to call her about the news. Though her dad didn't try to include her in his life, she tried to be apart of his. She called asking about her step brothers all the time but he never once  called to ask about her life. And even though she wasn't thrilled about her father finding happiness with another family, she was excited about her step brother's birth. The baby was already 3 weeks old by the time Liv found out and that really upset her. 

She called her dad earlier in the day to tell him how angry she was about him not thinking to call or even text her about her step brother's birth. When he spoke with her, he didn't seem at all apologetic about forgetting to tell her. Though he apologized over and over, he never meant it. She felt so left out. It wasn't the first time her father had forgotten about her but this time seemed like the last straw. She had enough of feeling neglected because of him. 

She was suppose to go to Soho with Katelynn and Sophie but she was too upset to go. She knew she would just be a negative nancy the whole day if she went with them so she decided to spare them. 

After walking around her apartment with nothing to do, she finally decided to just lay down on her bed and try to calm down. She had taken only two deep breaths before her phone rang. She reluctantly answered it without checking the caller id. 

"Hello" she said flatly. 

"Hey", she heard Ben greet. Though it was weird for him to greet her without calling her sexy or making some suggestive remark she couldn't bring herself to think anymore of it.  

"Ben, I'm in a bad mood. I'd advise you to stay away from me for at least 3 hours." she warned. 

He remained quiet for a couple seconds before he said quietly, "I know, but can I come over?" 

"Did you not hear a word I said?" 

He chuckled lightly and said, "I heard every word. I just want to see you. I can make you feel better." 

She sighed, "You're coming over whether I want you to or not, huh?" 

He laughed, "Yup." 

Once she disconnected the call with Ben, she reluctantly dragged herself to the bathroom for a shower before Ben came by. She hoped feeling the warm water cascade down her body would calm her down and it worked... somewhat.