Chapter 12

Ben was running late for Sophie and Daniel's engagement party because he was kept later for work. When he arrived at Emily's apartment to pick her up, he was hoping she would be dressed and ready to go. So when she swung her door open after hearing his knock dressed in her work suit he frowned slightly and calmly asked, "Are you getting ready?" 

She looked him in the eyes for a couple seconds and breathed out, "I don't think I'm going to go." 

His eyebrows knitted together in confusion, "Why not?"

She sighed and held the door open for him to walk in. She stood by the kitchen counter and sighed, "I don't really know anyone there. And plus, I just found out I'm flying out to Houston early tomorrow morning. So, I've got to get some sleep." 

He tried not to appear hurt but it was difficult. He couldn't understand what was happening with Emily. He tried so hard to include her in everything but she just didn't want to be apart of any of it. He desperately wanted her to just try but he felt like he couldn't ask more of her. She was already doing so much by being supportive about the baby so he couldn't bring himself to ask for anything else. So he just smiled sadly and said, "I understand. I'll just see you tonight then?" 

She looked at his hopeful face and shook her head, "I'll be sleeping early, I leave at 4am." 

"Let me at least drive you to the airport." he offered making sure as to not sound pushy.

"No, don't be silly. I'll drive myself."  she smiled. 

Her smile wasn't reassuring Ben. She usually let him drive her to the airport but she was refusing this time and he couldn't help but feel like it was her way of slowly pulling away from him. He frowned, "When will you be back?"

"I'll only be gone two days. Won't be too long." she said nonchalantly. He was bothered by the fact that she didn't seem to have a problem being away from him. 

"I'll miss you." he told her sincerely as he stepped closer to her to pull her into his arms. 

She hugged him back and tried to feel at ease in his arms but she couldn't. Nothing felt like it use to for her. She closed her eyes as she rested her head on his shoulder and murmured, "I'll miss you too." She gently pulled away from him and replaced her sad expression with a small smile, "I'll be back in no time. Now go, enjoy your night. And tell Daniel and Sophie I'm sorry I couldn't make it." 

His expression remained serious as he tried to study hers. He couldn't bring himself to see anything different but she was different now. He sighed and said, "I love you, Em." 

"Love you too." she laughed trying to lighten the mood. She wanted him to feel like nothing had changed. To make him feel silly for giving her such a serious goodbye even though, in her heart, she knew it was different. 

 Driving to the engagement party was blur for Ben. He couldn't bring himself to focus on anything but how weird Emily was being. He knew that things would change when he told her about the baby but he didn't expect her to act differently. 

"You all right?" Charlie asked seriously after noticing the hard cold expression on Ben's face as they walked through the entrance of the building. Both were running late because of work and managed to arrive at the same time. 

Ben tensed as he flatly replied, "I'm fine." He didn't want to think about his troubled relationship with Emily. He just wanted to enjoy and celebrate his friends' engagement. 

Charlie didn't ask anymore questions, he knew if Ben wanted to talk about it he would. So they quickly made their way to the banquet hall where toasts were already being made. Ben and Charlie tried to head to their seats without attracting attention until Daniel, who was currently making a toast called out into the microphone, "Ah, Ben, Charlie, glad you can make it."