Chapter 1

Liv turned the stove off when her oatmeal was finished. As she carefully poured her breakfast into her bowl she waited for her best friend Kate to arrive at her house. Kate had taken the first flight back to Los Angeles when Liv called her the night before. She landed about an hour ago. The doorbell rang and Liv waddled towards the door while using her right hand to support her back. The second she opened the door she was greeted with an apologetic voice. “Liv, don’t hate me”, she said regretfully. Her face scrunched up ready for Liv to give her an earful.

“Oh, I hate you. So much Kate! What happened to waiting for me to call you?”

“Well, I’m sorry if I was panicking. For God’s sake Liv, you had no one with you. I thought you were going into labor. I didn’t want you to be alone.”

“But why did you have to call Ben? Why Ben? You could’ve called Daniel or Sophie. But you called Ben. I trusted you.”

Kate sighed, “I called them and they were already in San Francisco. My mind was running a mile a minute. I was panicking. Apart of not knowing who else to call, I knew Ben would help. He’d drop anything to help you.”

“It wasn’t your place to tell him.” Liv clenched her jaw shut to keep herself from becoming even more angry. Although she knew Kate’s motives for telling Ben that he was the father weren’t without cause, she was just angry and worried. She not only had to worry about taking care of the baby and herself but also the collection she’ll be showing in fashion week. Now, she had to deal with Ben. She felt overwhelmed. She didn’t need the added stress.

A moment of silence passed before Kate saw the worry in Liv’s eyes. She didn’t realize how stressful this was for her. She pulled Liv into a hug, “I’m sorry. I thought I was doing the right thing.”

Liv nodded as Kate comforted her. Kate let herself in without asking. “Oh yes, by all means come in”, Liv sarcastically said to Kate; to which Kate just laughed.

“I’ve got some delish fruit tarts baby girl will love”, Kate said as she walked into the kitchen to fill Liv’s refrigerator with food like she has done many times in the past six months. Kate had been the best friend a pregnant girl can have. She was always there for the appointments and prenatal birthing classes. She had been a great support system. So great that, Liv had almost forgotten that she didn’t have Ben there with her. Kate did everything to help Liv through her pregnancy no matter how many times Liv reminded her that she was more than capable of doing it all by herself.

As much as she wanted to be angry with Kate, she couldn’t. She knew Kate didn’t mean to stress her out. And she was glad Kate had the ability to put her mind at ease and calm her down like she was doing just now.

“What about what baby girl’s mom loves? You do know I’m the one that has to eat it?” Liv joked.

“Yeah, yeah. I know.” Kate said throwing a smile in Liv’s direction.

***

Ben sat back on Emily’s couch and reviewed exactly how he was going to tell Emily that he’s having a child with another woman. He called Emily earlier that morning and asked her if they could talk. She agreed and told him to let himself in because she was going to shower. As he waited for her to finish his mind wandered to the past.

Six months ago…

This is it, he thought. He just found out he passed the board of law exam. His life has finally started. He had a little celebration party at the SkyBar on Sunset Boulevard. Many of his friends were in attendance and it turned out to be a great night until he saw Liv approaching him from the entrance. Then it had turned into an amazing night. Dressed up in the perfect little black dress, which he knew was her own creation, she shot him a heart-stopping smile.