Chapter 32 - Cross them off the list

A/N: Keep reading, dears. 

Chapter 32 - Cross them off the list

I had spoken to Jack since that day, but briefly.

Ramona wanted to tag along on some days. And yes, she did get a shirt that had 'Jack' written on it: a purple shirt with gold letters, to be precise. The name was written diagonally. She had worn it the next time she came with me.

Jack was on his computer, writing a letter to someone. I stepped inside first, and he didn't even lift his eyes to see who it was. I was a bit disappointed to be ignored like that, but well, I didn't like Jack. In fact, I kind of disliked him because he reminded me of Howard, whom I hadn't seen for quite a while. I bet no one else would've seen anything that was similar to Howard, but I could. It was because I obviously missed him.

I didn't like missing him. I didn't like to think of apologizing, because I waiting for him to apologize.

Why had we even got into an argument? I tried to remember. Oh yeah, it was Jenna's birthday, and I had found out that some stranger wanted to go on a date with me, but really, the stranger was Jace, and he turned out to be just a guy who had taken the advantage to represent himself as the secret admirer. And Evan had said that second chances are for those who suffer and he had meant that I had to suffer. And I had, maybe not as much as I deserved, but I had.

I had zero romantic feelings towards Jace, but I did like Howard though.

All the confusion about guys was finally over: no Jace, no Joe, and no Evan (because he would never like me back), no Jack (who was handsome, but liked Ramona and I was happy for them). I only wanted one person's acceptance, one person's eyes staring into mine, one person's lips on mine.

Howard. I had to find him.

Anyways, I was telling a story here. So, I went in first, and Jack completely ignored me, but then when Ramona blessed the room with her existence, it felt like the place was holy.

She looked beautiful, more ravishing than the previous time and Jack's eyes shot up, burned holes in Ramona's new shirt, and the corners of his mouth curled.

"I like your shirt," he said, the smirk not wanting to disappear. He pushed his chair away from the computer and folded his arms.

"Well, yes, it has your name on it, like promised," she shrugged and walked closer. She traced her fingers along the counter and stopped. "Now I dare you to get a shirt with my name on it."

He let out a giggle, and then unfolded his arms. "Already done," he said. He was wearing a black long-sleeved shirt, Ramona's name in blue letters. "Blue, just like the stripes in your hair."

She felt uneasy.

"We almost look like a couple," she teased and brushed her hair from her face. "Almost."

He followed her with his eyes until she disappeared to the corridor. I stood there like I had been struck by lightning, unable to move. I felt uncomfortable with them flirting right in front of me. He noticed me staring. I thought he was going to yell at me or something, but then I said (and thank god I didn't stay there like a fool): "She likes spontaneity." A clue – I hoped he'd take it.

I went to the studio, she sat there, cheeks flushed, daydreaming.

"Looks like the cupid did his job." I sat opposite of her. "Probably hit you with two arrows."

"I'm not complaining," she said and sighed. It was love, disgusting, maddening, sticky love. I would've said 'like', but it doesn't hurt being dramatic.