The One Step Closer

Jennie walked into the hotel with her arms constricted to her sides and her feet shuffling against the green carpeted rug as if she was walking in shackles.  Oh!  How she loathed new environments, especially without her Peter.   Her shoulders shivered against the cold atmosphere and the light knit jacket she wore provided no warmth at all.   Jennie’s eyes studied the decorative lobby.  She admired the strong white columns that were lined constructively in front of the lounge room; the grooves indented along their sides reminded her of the school she had attended, too.  Her school had a lot of columns.   Jennie’s eyes landed on a tall gentleman dressed in a business suit.  He looked like he could be of some help. 

               Jennie hiked up the suitcase in her hands and made forward at a faster pace.   Several girls dressed in their high-collared orange knits and black leather skirts crisscrossed in front of Jennie, hiding her aid.   Jennie made a full rotation while trying to avoid the chattering girls, only to turn around to see the gentleman gone.   She sighed and started off towards the lounge before a hand tapped on her shoulder.  Jennie spun around and almost collided into the stranger’s chest.

               “I’m sorry,” Jennie stuttered in a meek voice. 

               “No problem!”  came the buttery voice.  “I saw you looking around for some help.  Can I be of any service?”

               Jennie looked up slowly and bit her lip.  Another person she had to talk to.  “Well, I’m looking for a room.  The receptionist wasn’t at the desk.  I probably should wait, but I don’t want to be out here forever.”

               “Ah, you’re from England!”  the man chimed through a toothy grin.

               “Naturally,” Jennie replied promptly.  She didn’t want to get into another discussion about her heritage—in fact, she dreaded the thought.   “Listen, sir, if you’d like to know more about my country, there’s a line of Encyclopedias over there in the lounge.  I am quite exhausted, just had my first plane ride, and I am in desperate need of my room!”   Jennie’s chest tightened and she fanned her face with the pamphlet she had received coming into the hotel. 

               “I’m sorry, ma’am.  Well, let me take your suitcase and we can wait up at the front.”  The man reached for Jennie’s suitcase, but Jennie pulled it out from underneath him.  In an offended scoff, the man commented through the corner of his lips, “We’re not going to bite you.”

               Jennie smiled and closed her eyes for a moment to calm herself.  “Yes, I know.  I just don’t like my things being carried by other people.  I appreciate your help, but I think I’ll be alright now.”

               “Oh, come now, baby, I know a great place I can buy you a drink.  How about that?  Drinks on me!”

               Jennie shook her head politely.  “No, thank you.  I see what you’re up to, and you can’t fool me.”

               The man, with his luscious black hair, strong jaw, and tapered nose, smirked and waggled his head in confidence that he would win her over.  “Don’t you have an attitude?  Don’t worry,” the man placed a soft hand over Jennie’s pale ones and said in a whisper, “it’s becoming on you.”

               Jennie jerked away from the man’s hands and scowled at him.  Her pretty face shifted into an angered one and she hissed at him loudly.  “You beast!  I see what you do!  Waiting for poor, tired women to stumble in here so you can take advantage of them!  You ought to be ashamed!”  Jennie brushed past him and made her way to the front desk, where she wished she had stayed in the first place.   The man screwed his mouth to one side in humiliation when he found himself under several gawking eyes, and casually sauntered off.   When he believed he could no longer be seen, rushed into the elevator and was gone from Jennie’s sights.  

               “Can I help you?”  an oncoming receptionist asked as she clipped together a handful of documents.  She squeezed her pudgy body between the chair and the counter and gave Jennie a warm smile.

               “Yes, I haven’t made reservations here.  Well, this is my first time in America, and I don’t know my way around here.  I would like a room, though, if there’s one available?”  Jennie felt like a seven year old child ordering her first meal off the menu without her parent’s help.  In this case, Jennie didn’t have Peter’s smarts and social skills to help her out.  “I’m sorry for sounding so clumsy, but all I want is a room.”

               “Sure thing, honey, let me select a room for you and you’ll be set.”  The receptionist said brightly as she looked through the available rooms.  “Ah ha!  Room 198, down the hall, up one flight, and the room will be the first one to your right!  Have a nice stay!”

               “Oh yes, you, too! I mean, thank you.”  Jennie nodded in appreciation and made haste to her room.  She was surprised at all the energy she had to dodge the passing people and to click-clack up the stairs in heels.  She made a sharp turn, almost colliding into the janitor.  “Oh, pardon me!”  Jennie apologized, biting down on her knuckle.  The janitor only winked at her and puckered his lips.   Jennie rolled her eyes—how many times had she seen that expression?  She continued on her way and made it to her door.  She stuck the key in, twisted it violently, and shoved her weight against the door, opening it wide enough for her to stumble in.  

               Jennie turned and locked the door, took off her jacket and waddled to the bed, kicking her heels off on the way.  She collapsed onto the soft mattress and was about to close her eyes and go to sleep before a sharp pain stabbed at her heart.   It wasn’t a physical pain—it was emotional.   Through all the hurrying and in-taking her new surroundings, Jennie missed the comfort of her Peter.  She sniffled back the tears, but it was no use, she thought it better if she just let herself cry.  As she said, she began composing a letter she would write to him the next morning.   And perhaps, she could begin looking for Audrey.  Oh, how she wished she had both of them in her arms at that moment.  She longed for Peter’s gentle hands playing with her hair.  She needed to hear his soothing voice when she shared her deepest secrets with him.   How she missed cradling Audrey and telling her fairy tale stories.  Were those days gone?  Jennie wished to believe so because it hurt too much to think that all would turn out well.  

               Jennie closed her eyes and cried.  She cried until her head ached and she couldn’t breathe.  She cried until the memories she so dearly wished to relive faded.  She sniffled back her last tears and reached over to turn on the lamp, for she had forgotten to turn it on at her arrival.  When she flipped it on, the first thing to greet her on the table beside her was a glossy pamphlet with Helen Trapp on the front.  The captions on the bottom read: Helen Trapp, California’s Beloved Babe, is hosting a dinner party Christmas Eve, 1962.  You are free to attend!  Limited spots! More information at this number.

               Jennie laughed at her fortunate and tucked the pamphlet under her pillow.  It was too good to be true, but it didn’t matter to Jennie, it was just another step closer to visiting Audrey, and, little did Jennie know, an even bigger step to paying off Helen.