The Orphanage

The next day came sooner than desired.  Jennie was the first up, packing things for Audrey and letting the yellow dog outside. She cleaned up the rooms, washing last night’s dishes, and opened all the shades.  Peter was draped over the bed, one side of his limbs dangling off the edge and the covers crunched up underneath him.   Jennie kissed his head and shook him awake.

               “Peter, it’s five o’clock.  We got to drive Audrey to the orphanage.  Did Helen say she was paying for this one?  The one in Bristol is awfully nice, but I’m sure it costs a fortune!”        

               Peter rubbed his nose and stretched himself awake.   With his eyes still closed, he meandered to the bathroom and took his shower and dressed.   Jennie wasn’t going to wake up Audrey anytime soon; she wanted her to be well rested before being dropped off at the orphanage.  

               When they were all set to go, Peter carried Audrey out to the called cab while Jennie made the final sweep around the house.  It was dawn outside; a mist covered the streets and the air was damp and cool.   It felt like they were escaping from something, but it was only the environment creating the adventurous feel. Once they piled in, the cab took off down the hilly road towards the dreaded children’s home.   All the way there, Peter and Jennie exchanged comforting glances while they petted Audrey, who slept between them.   The cab arrived at the train station, and the family filed out one by one, with the exception of Peter carrying Audrey.

               The train ride was rather peaceful, gave sometime for Peter and Jennie to be alone together.  Though they hardly spoke a word to one another, their hands clasped together were all they needed to know that things were going to be alright.  It was still dark outside, and it only lightened up when they were halfway to Bristol. 

               “We’re ‘ere!”  Peter said.  He looked over to Jennie and poked her in the shoulder. “Jennie, we are ‘ere!”   Jennie didn’t move, she instead repositioned her head and sighed in content.   Peter nudged his wife’s barefoot with his until she stirred.  “Wake up, love, we made it.”

               Jennie woke with a start and began looking immediately for Audrey.  “Who took her?”  she exclaimed, much to Peter’s laughing.

               “No one, dear, jest wake the tyke up, the train’s pullin’ in the station.” 

               “Wake up, baby,” Jennie sang into Audrey’s ears softly.  “We’re here; at the orphanage.”  

               Audrey wriggled and groaned.  She turned over and tucked her hands under her cheeks.  

               Peter leaned in and prodded her with his elbow while his hands neatened his tie. “Wake up, Ace.”

               Audrey opened her eyes and then closed them.  “I don’t want to get up!  I’m so tired!”

               “It’s okay, love.   There’s a bed for you inside.  Now, do you remember what we went over last night?”  Jennie asked as she helped Peter pick her up.   “I’ll get her things,” Jennie mouthed to her husband as she click-clacked to the trunk.

               Peter bounced Audrey awake by shaking the seat beneath her.   Once she was awake, he kissed her on the cheeks.  “You’re not going to stay ‘ere, alright?”

               “Mmhmmm,” Audrey mumbled, laying her head on Peter’s shoulder and snoozing.   Peter carried her out of the train with Jennie behind with the luggage.   They had to walk for some time before finding a cab, and when they did, they had the hardest of times explaining where they wanted to go, for the driver was deaf in one ear.