The Train

Peter and Audrey arrived at the station before noon and waited for the second train to come in. 

               “Can ya wait ‘ere while I git the tickets?”  Peter directed, moving Audrey over by a bench.  “Do not go anywhere.  I won’t be gone for long.”  Peter patted Audrey’s cheek and took off to the ticket booth.   There were about five people ahead of him, but he was alright on time. 

               “Oi, Peter?” came a bright voice of a young woman.

               Peter’s head immediately turned in every direction until it fell on a beautiful, slim-legged blonde.   Jennie.   Peter broke into a smile and left his spot in the line.  He waved awkwardly and jerked his hat off at the remembrance of his manners.   “You alright?”

               “Yes, I am.   Thank you.  I have a day off—was getting ready for tonight.  You haven’t forgotten about it?  Have you?”  Jennie moved forward slightly, studying Peter’s face.

               Peter blinked rapidly and he searched his mental calendar.  “Ah, yes, I remember.  The date tonight!”

               Jennie nodded her head, somewhat disappointment at how easily it had slipped Peter’s mind.  “You seem to be busy, lad, what are you up to?”

               “Ms. Willis, it’s a long story.   But, please don’t take it the wrong way, let me explain it all first.”

               “I’m listening,” Jennie said sweetly.                                                    

               Peter opened his mouth to speak, but he was swept away by her sweet white dress and netted veil over her delicate face.  “Um, well, it’s actually a comical story, in fact, you see,” Peter swallowed and looked behind him at the little girl patiently sitting on the bench, swinging her legs.   “I’ve got a daughter.”

               Jennie’s face didn’t change.  She just nodded her head compassionately and pretended that she had a sudden reason to search her handbag.  “Oh, well, I’m very happy for the lucky woman.”

               “Oh no, you see, here’s the funny part.  I didn’t know I ‘ad a daughter.  The woman in my former life—well, because of our age we were told not to see each other.   I didn’t know she was pregnant when I left her.  Now I guess she can’t handle the responsibility.”

               Jennie stared at the ground in deep thought.  She didn’t answer straight away and surprisingly, it looked like she wanted to help.  She finally spoke.  “Peter, what can I do for you?”

               Peter’s jaw dropped.  He hardly knew this girl, but she seemed genuine and sweet.  Or, maybe she was just bored and wanted something to pass the time.  “Aren’t ya kind.  I don’t know what ya could do.  I’m takin’ the girl to the orphanage, jest until I have funds to keep her permanently.”

               “I’ve got some money, I can help you.”

               “Yeah, it’s for the rent back ‘ome.  ‘N’ to raise her.   I’ve never done this.”

               Jennie smiled and laughed softly.  “Me neither.  But I want to help you.”

               Peter raised an eyebrow.  “Why do you?  Honest answer.”

               “You told me about getting away.  This is my chance.  I was planning on boarding the train and head for Manchester.  But what’s there for me.”  She gazed into Peter’s eyes, begging for him to trust her; wanting him to know how she felt for him.   Having the career that she had, she had never known a man like Peter.  She couldn’t lose him.