Chapter 18

"Hey I know you. You're my girlfriend." Michael snuck up behind me and putting his arms around my waist. I turned around and faced him. I could feel the glares I was getting by people in the hallway. Michael had never been one to have a relationship, other than Sasha, so people found it quite strange.

"Hey have you finished the song?" I had been pestering Michael about it for a couple days now. He leaned up against the row of lockers and looked at me.

"Your hair looks good today? Did you do something different with it?" I couldn't tell if he was purposely trying to change the subject, or if he was continuing our little game. He reached out to touch my hair but I slapped his hand away before he could.

"I'm serious Michael. I want to hear it." I hugged my books to my chest in anticipation of his words.

"Princess it's not even that good." He complained by rolling his head from side to side. "I bet you hear better things at the royal balls. We're just a group of guys trying to make music." The bell rang before I had the chance to speak again. "Come on I'll walk you to class." He took me by the hand and led me to Algebra II. 

"Are you saying that it is done?" I repeated. I didn't know why Michael wasn't proud of writing a song when I  couldn't even write a haiku. He grunted a "I guess" in response. We took turn after turn in the hallway, continuing to talk about his song when we finally reached math.

"I'll talk to the guys and see they're up for playing after school." He let go of my hand and shoved his in his pockets. "I'll see you later, Princess. Have fun learning something other than how to walk with a book on your head." I stuck my tongue out at his little remark and said goodbye to my boyfriend.

During Algebra I kept wondering why Michael wouldn't be excited about the song. Was it about Sasha and he didn't want to play it for me? Was it about me? Was it about his family? All of these questions flooded through my mind when I was interrupted. "You're Gabriella right?" A blonde haired girl asked me. She was cute and had big blue eyes and her red lipstick stuck out more than anything. I had never seen this girl before today and all of a sudden she was in my class.

"Yes?" Almost sounding unsure that it was my name.

"I'm Grayson," She introduced and took it upon herself to sit next to me. "I was wondering if you knew much about that Luke guy. I know this sounds weird and all but I see you hanging out with him a lot."

"Uh yeah I know Luke." I confirmed. As soon as I said that Grayson's face lit up with hope.

"I was just wondering if you could introduce me to him." She asked clearly trying to hold in her emotions. 'Maybe you should introduce yourself to me before you go asking me about Luke' I thought. "He's in my history class and study hall but I'm way too nervous to talk to him." 'Youre nervous to talk to Luke? Honey, if you only knew how awkward this boy is.'

"I guess I could talk to him for you." I shrugged. Grayson seemed nice and cute and sweet, which is exactly what Luke needed. Her smile grew bigger as I made her dream come true. "What's your last name?"

"Stewart. Like Stewart and Son's Automotive on Main Street. I'm not the son, obviously, and I don't work on cars. It's my dad and my older brothers they're all into that stuff." As Grayson continued to tell me about her family, which I never really asked for, I blankly looked over her right shoulder at the door and saw Ashton in the hallway.

"You know what I have to pee so I'll catch up with you soon." I lied and left Grayson sitting by herself as I rushed into the hallway. The teacher, Mr. Hill, didn't seem to care much anymore about us leaving class.

"Ashton?" I questioned and came to the realization that he was talking to Sasha. Did she always have to show up?

He turned as hears my voice, "Hey Gabriella what's up?"

"I had to go to the bathroom." I lied again. "What are you doing?"

Ashton opened his mouth to speak but Sasha spoke instead. "He was talking to me." She snapped. "If you have a problem with that, Princess, you can run off to Michael and cry on his shoulder." Who the hell did she think she was? I'm pretty sure I had A, never had a full conversation with her, and B, done anything to her to make her angry at me. Maybe Michael was right and she really was the female version of Satan. "You look confused." She moved past Ashton and headed in my direction. "Don't think I don't know about his cute little nickname for you. Michael and I still talk to each other, Gabriella. I just want you to be fully aware of the fact that he'll get bored of you. He got bored of Jenny Allison and came running back to me. You want to know why?" I really didn't. I was already scared enough at the moment. "Because he still loves me. Me. Not you. Michael wrote that song you want to hear so badly about me." I looked back at Ashton only to find him gone. It was just me and Sasha. "You see this, Gabriella?" She pulled out a necklace with a tiny key on it from under her shirt. I recognized it instantly. "Do you know what this is?"

I nodded. "Michael wears one exactly like that." I choked back a sob, I sure as hell didn't want to start crying in front of her.

"You wonder why huh? Because he still loves me. He got us these cheesy necklaces on a sixth month anniversary." She tucked the necklace back inside her black and white polka dot shirt and perked up a little. "Anyway I hope you have a wonderful day. Tell Michael I say 'hi'." Just like that she strode off down the hall. While I still stood there not moving a single inch. Sasha made a lot of points on why Michael still loved her. Points that made me question what he's told me. He told me that the necklace was his Mom's.

**

"Hey Princess." Michael greeted me after school. "I feel like I haven't seen you all day." It was true, he hasn't. Ever since third period Algebra when I had my run in with Sasah I avoided him. I told him that I had to go to the nurse's office for girl reasons. "You okay?" He rubbed my back, only triggering me to shy away from his touch. "Gabriella what's wrong?"

"Nothing I'm fine." I stated. "Just can you take me home? I'm not feeling so hot right now."

"You always look hot." He complimented me as he took his hand in mine and laced our fingers together. "If it makes you feel any better, I think you look smoking hot today." I really didn't think I did. I hadn't brushed my hair today because Jason tried to flush my hairbrush down the toilet, I threw on a ratty old school t-shirt I've had for five years and a pair of jeans. I mumbled a 'thanks' and walked with Michael toward his car.

He let go of my hand while he got in and found it again once he was seated. I kept my hand loosely in his, not really caring to hold his hand, and looked out the window the entire ride.

"Thanks for the ride." I said quietly as I gathered my things.

"Are your parents home?" He wondered, obviously trying to hint at something.

"No." I got out of the car and slammed the door behind me. I wasn't feeling in the best mood to talk to him. I looked back once on my way to the door. Michael was watching me with a look of confusion.

Once inside I threw my school bag on the floor. I leaned up against the door and sank to the hardwood. Finally I let my feelings wash over me like a tsunami. I hated Michael Clifford.

**
AUTHOR'S NOTE

don't touch me I'm emotional