Chapter 3

It was Monday and I found myself sitting with Luke outside during lunch. We hadn't said a single word to each other since we sat down. I looked over at Luke who was playing with a blade of grass. I sat and watched him while eating my sandwich.

"Luke?" I said breaking the silence between us.

"Hm?" He mumbled, still not looking at me.

 "Do you wanna hang out this weekend?" I didn't know anybody here and I figured Luke was someone to start with. I wasn't exactly the best at making friends. In second grade I tied a girls shoelaces together because I saw a boy do the same to his friend.

"And do what?" He asked with very little interest. I shrugged, "considering I just moved here, I thought you could suggest something." Luke let out a long sigh. "Fine. We can hang out at my house. I'll text you the adress on Friday." He said just before getting up off the grass. "I'll see you later, Gabriella." With those words I was left to sit on the grassy knoll by myself. At least for a little while.

"Isn't it just a lovely day, Gabriella." Michael said plopping himself down next to me. I watched in silence as he tore open his brown paper bag and pulled out a Pepsi. "It's not polite to stare. But if you do I would prefer a compliment after." Michael was so cocky and egotistical I couldn't stand it. I wondered why Michael couldn't just leave me alone. Didn't he see that I had no interest in being around him.

"What do you want, Michael?" I asked.

"Do I need a purpose to come sit with her royal highness?" I rolled my eyes at Michael's comment. He knew I hated being referred to as a 'princess', and that's exactly why he did it. "Do tell me when your coronation is. I want to make sure I grovel enough to get on the invite list." I didn't bother saying anything in return to his witty jokes. He would've kept going no mattet what I said.

"Michael I can't stand you." I told him. Honestly I couldn't care less what he thought of me. I didn't want to associate myself with him. I thought maybe if I told him what I thought he would leave me alone.

"It's a good thing you're sitting then." Michael let out a small chuckle, pleased with himself. He returned to digging through the brown paper bag.

"Michael-" I was cut off by his loud burping. He was so repulsive and the biggest asshole I knew.

"Excuse me, Princess." He smirked. "You were saying?"

I looked at him with disbelief, but continued what I was going to say. "I don't understand how Luke even tolerates you."

"Because we're best friends." He told me, trying to swallow a hand full of pretzels.

"New question." Michael nodded, telling me to ask whatever was on my mind. "Why do you always seem to show up when I don't want you around?"

"Simple." He wiped his mouth. "I like you and you think I'm a rude, self-centered, classless, douchebag. That's how one sided hatred works, Princess." I was interested to see what Michael had to say, so instead of slapping him right there, I sat silently. "You see it as you're the damsel in distress, and I, am the peasant who is so not worthy of your time. But in my eyes, I'm just a dude looking for a friend."

"But you have Luke, Calum, and Ashton." I pointed out.

"If I said it was sort of a magnetic attraction that would sound sappy. You just interest me, Gabriella." Michael glanced at me and smiled. I still hadn't looked away from him. I held on to every word he said, because everything that came out of his mouth came out in a sophisticated way. Any other guy who tried to talk to me said it in a typical teenage guy way. Michael talked to me like he'd rehearsed it in the mirror, sure of every word he said. "This is when you compliment me."

"How do you seem so sure that what you say doesn't come out sounding stupid?" I cocked my head. I have to admit, this side of Michael, the good confident Michael, was better than the asshole, yelling Michael.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I just know how to talk to people I guess." He wasn't wrong. The way he made a conversation flow was great. It was something I wasn't expecting of him. The bell rang just as I was about to say yet another rude, but clever, comment. "Later, Princess." Michael said as he packed up his things leaving me alone.

Last period seemed to drag on. English wasn't a subject I was necessarily bad at but I wasn't a star student either. "Princess," Michael whispered leaning over. He always wanted to sit next to me in every class we had together. His face was only a couple inches away from mine and I could feel his hot breath on my face. His eyes were a beautiful green color, his nose was cute and small, and his lips were the perfect shade of light pink. I have to admit that Michael isn't an ugly guy. "Can I borrow a pencil?"

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in. "I don't have one sorry." I said quietly, almost afraid that anything else would make him move away.

"It's all good I'll just ask Maia." He backed away. I turned forward in my seat. My heart was beating fast. Michael was so close to my face and he looked really good. He pulled off the rugged look better than anyone I've ever met.

**

It was Saturday and Luke had told me that he was going to pick me up in about an hour.

"Gabriella there's someone here to see you!" My mom called from downstairs. I ran downstairs to greet Luke. To my surprise it was Michael.

"God do you ever leave me alone?" I rolled my eyes. I got enough of Michael at school; I sure as hell didn't want him at my house.

He raised an eyebrow. "That's no way to greet your prince charming." I scoffed at his greeting. He was the farthest thing from my Prince Charming even if he was joking. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" I crossed my arms over my chest. He liked to leave me asking all of the questions.

"To hang out. Luke didn't tell you?" I shook my head, what did Luker ever tell me? "He had last minute plans so he couldn't hang out. He figured since I was his only friend who didn't have any plans that-"

"That you could show me around." I finished for him. Michael nodded. I honestly did not want to spend my day with someone who's a complete jackass. But what other plans did I have? None. "Fine." I reluctantly agreed. "Just let me get my bag."

I found him leaning up against his car, tapping away at his phone. "Ready, Princess?" Michael looked up asked once I was ready.

"To spend the whole day with you? Not one bit." I said harshly. He shrugged off my rude comment and opened my door. "I could've done it myself you know?" I said one I was already in.

"But then that would go against everything princesses stand for." He smirked while closing my door. He ran around to the drivers side. "So tell me what you want to see in the small ass town that we reside in."

"I was going to ask you that question, Michael. Considering I literally know nothing about this town, or the people in it. I want to know anything and everything."

Michael stared at me. "I hope you plan on giving me a compliment after you're done." I joked.

"You have really pretty eyes." He said with no humor in his tone. I was taken aback because I expected him to say something completely rude, cocky, or make a joke.

"Thanks."

**

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

IDK HOW TO FEEL ABOUT THIS CHAPTER OK. I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT BECAUSE TOOK ME LIKE 9 YEARS TO WRITE.

COMMENT AND VOTE I LOVE YOU BYE