Closing

Closing - Chan POV

"Chandler, next time this year you'll be running an entire division."

Rolling up my sleeves, I circle my desk back to my chair. "Sounds good to me, Jim."

"You know what sounds good, the engine on a corporate G-5, you'll lead Richburg for good."

"Richfield." I correct as my feet find the top of my desk. Crossing one over the other, I lean back comfortably.

"Whatever. With these quarterly numbers, you're on track to deliver. You're golden." He comments "I'll catch ya later."

Without a final word, I press end. It's good to know that corporate notices the hard work I've put in this holiday season.

Most mornings when I walk into work I'm sleep deprived from the night before. The numerous outreached calls throughout the nation has increased the last six months creating a chain so large we are now looking at a lifetime of buyers.

The seasonal shipment is set to leave the warehouse first thing Monday morning and if everything runs as smoothly as planned, consumers will have their product in just a few days time. There is only one way to celebrate this win.

A drink.

Swinging my feet off the desktop, I lean over and dial a number I have memorized since we were kids.

As I stand up my hands reach for my tie. Stretching it left and right, I loosen it just enough to pull over my head; the action becoming routine at this hour. But instead of pulling it off, giving me one more thing to carry on my way out, I let it hang at my neck.

My fingers start working on my cuff-links when he answers "Hey, man!" He yells from the other end

"Joe, where are you?" I question, hearing a few different girls hollering in the distance.

"What?" He yells, but I know he is more distracted than incapable of hearing my words "Dude, I'm at Rudy's, you've gotta get down here! The chicks are wild tonight."

Typical.

Joey's one stop shop is Rudy's. They are well known for their free hot-dogs and karaoke nights; something I've been caught in the middle of several times. I don't know why, but once I get that mic a jolt takes over my body and I lose control. I get really into it and the crowd does too. At first, it was just a one time thing, but then that one time turned into a few, and now I see myself up on that stage every Friday night.

They've officially coined me Mr. Karaoke.

The key to a good performance is making the audience a part of the action. You want them to feel the beat that you do; dance with them, move between them, really get them into it.

"Rudy's? I thought you were going to poker night?" I question, knowing he has set up a get-together with his sister's husbands to try and make a stronger family bond between them.

"Nah, I don't feel like getting into that." He admits "Plus, it's Friday! Your cue is in an hour!"

And now he is yelling.

"When are you going to make your debut?" I counter, finally giving up on the cuffs; it was a lost cause when I started. Honestly, I don't understand the point in them, men don't have the patience or time to deal with extra buttons that are just going to be unfastened and rolled up anyway. Grabbing the collar of my jacket, I slide it off the back of my chair and slip my arms through the sleeves before locating my things.

"Debut?" I feel like I finally gathered his full attention "Chandler, I'm an actor. I do this everyday."

"Of course, sorry." Closing the curtains, I make sure everything is locked up "Well, listen man. I'm closing up now, I should be there in 20 minutes." I inform my best friend.