Sugawara Koshi x Reader: Crush

Now, I don't actually take requests for this oneshot collection, but I was going through a bit of writer's block so I took this request to help me ^_^ Anyway the reader will be fem. reader and a third year at Karasuno. Enjoy!

You didn't know the first thing about volleyball, but you did know that you liked a certain grey-haired volleyball player. You had made small talk with him before, but it never really led anywhere. 

So, in order to strike up an interesting conversation with him, you started watching volleyball matches and looking up volleyball plays.

Which led to this...

"H-Hey Sugawara, did you watch that game last night? Between the two rival colleges in Tokyo?" You asked him, trying to keep your cool. He sat right behind you in class so if you ever wanted to talk to him you had to turn around awkwardly. But he just smiled at you and nodded.

"I watched it live. Man that last set was so intense! Don't you think?"

"Y-Yeah! I thought their hands would fly off!" you said, glad that you had finally struck a chord with him.

"Oh man, but did you notice the setter on the Keio team? He was dumping on the other team so much it was almost unfair."

"Dumping?" you asked, your heart beginning to drop as you realized Sugawara was way ahead of you when it came to knowledge about volleyball. You just didn't expect to be so out of the loop so soon in the conversation. Thankfully, Sugawara didn't seem to mind teaching you.

"It's when a setter sort of fakes doing a set to a spiker, so they just move their wrist and push the ball over the net."

"Oh! So it's like a surprise attack by the setter."

"Exactly!"

The more you talked with Sugawara the more you began researching volleyball, not just for him but for yourself. The game itself was pretty interesting and you liked the fact that volleyball teams formed such strong bonds, because they had to really work together on the court. The more you researched and learned, the more you wanted to actually try your hand at playing volleyball.

"Hey Sugawara..do you by any chance have a volleyball I could borrow?' you asked him after class ended. He cocked his head to the side and smiled lopsidedly at you.

"Do you want to play volleyball y/n? Do you have that volleyball fire in you?" he asked you jokingly.

You chuckled at him and nodded. "Yeah I think I do, thanks to you. Can you help me? I-I think I might even want to get on the girls team."

"Sure!" he said with huge smile on his face. "Let's practice outside. Unfortunately all I can teach you is how to be a setter--"

"That's still awesome!" you exclaimed, getting up from your seat and grabbing your things. "Setting is awesome!"

Sugawara's golden brown eyes widened before he smiled and started packing up his things. You two walked outside together and decided to practice right next to the gym, much to your excitement. Sugawara apologized to you in advance though, running a hand through his grey hair.

"Just know that you might get hit in the face y/n. Especially when you're receiving...so just be caref--"

"I'll be fine!! Let's do this." you said, already getting in a receiving position (or at least something close to it). Sugawara laughed and threw the volleyball up in the air, before lightly serving it towards you. You inhaled and stuck your arms out, bracing for the impact of the ball. Closing your eyes for a moment, you tried to clear your mind and only think about receiving.

But the ball never hit your arms. You opened one eye, and looked down at the ground where the volleyball was sitting pathetically. "S-Sugawara...what happened?"

"You missed is all. That's completely normal though...plus your form looked pretty good for someone who's never practiced before!" Sugawara said, and you relaxed your muscles and stood up straight. "Opening your eyes also might help?"

"O-Ok...let's try it again then!"

...

Two months later

"Hey y/n! How did tryouts go?" Sugawara asked you as he sat down in his seat behind you. You sighed and shook your head in defeat.

"I don't know Sugawara...I just don't know." you said, and Sugawara's face fell. You covered your face in your hands to contain your laughter as you continued, "But they already gave me a uniform though...so I guess I'm in!!"  

Sugawara's mouth fell open in shock and he flew out of his seat almost immediately. You didn't realize what had happened until after he stopped, his soft lips parting from yours hastily. He sat back down and several people in class whistled and chuckled. You felt your face burn in embarrassment at having so many of your classmates watch you and Sugawara kissing.

But at least Sugawara looked just as embarrassed as you felt, his face flushed about a thousand shades of red as he sat completely rigid in his seat.

Well, that wasn't the reaction I was expecting Sugawara...but it's not entirely unwanted either.

You didn't turn around to talk to Sugawara once during the entire class. You were too afraid that you were going to say the wrong thing to him and end up making him regret kissing you.

Lunchtime rolled around and you gratefully took the opportunity to get up from your desk and get out of the classroom. Sugawara had the exact same idea though, and you two bumped into each other as you were trying to leave.

"S-Sorry." he mumbled and you shook your head.

"Can we talk...somewhere kinda private?" you asked and Sugawara nodded his head.

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea."

Soon enough, you both were out of the prying eyes of your classmates as you both decided to talk in a quiet hallway that was near the art classrooms. Sugawara fidgeted in place and was blushing furiously already, but he still managed to maintain eye contact with you.

"Sugawara...I'm glad you feel so strongly about me getting on the girls volleyball team. I couldn't have done it without your help, so thank you. But I need you to know...that I had feelings for you."

"Had?"

"Have!" you immediately added, your eyes not wavering from his brown ones. "I still have feelings for you. I really really like you Suga! I have a huge crush on you and...well since you kissed me I can only assume that...you like me back?"

"Of course." he murmured, taking a careful step towards you. You instinctively placed your hand on the side of his head, his soft grey tufts tickling your skin. He closed his eyes and smiled softly. "Can we kiss now? A real kiss this time though..." he said, his eyes still closed shut.

You breathed out and leaned in, pressing your body close to his. Your lips connected softly and you quickly added more pressure to the kiss, and you heard Sugawara squeak in surprise.

Kissing him just seemed to make you feel bolder, and you liked surprising him with whatever you could come up with. Finally the kiss ended though and you both pulled away breathlessly.

"Y/n, can I take you out to dinner or something? W-We can celebrate you getting on the team."

"And becoming your girlfriend." you added with a grin. Sugawara blushed and pecked your forehead.

"Mmhmm, and I guess that means I'm your boyfriend. How did I get so lucky y/n?" he asked you, his soft voice taking on a serious tone for a moment.

But you just shrugged and said, "I guess you have volleyball to thank for that."