4

I took a few steps forward, "Hello, I'm Pepper," I shook his hand, "It's very nice to meet you," I tell him.

Tony continued to sulk behind me.

"Kayla here tells me that you're looking into getting a service dog?" Jeff asked.

I nodded, "An emotional support dog," I corrected.

Jeff nodded, "Ah, we have a lot that show great potential here. Here, let me show you a few of them," he told us before turning and going back to the room he'd come from. Holding open the door for Tony and I.

The room was full of kennels, the walls on the left and right were big, chain link fence kennels. There were quite a few dogs as well. Some were against the gate barking, others were laying in the backs of their cages, and some were cowering in the corners of their cages.

Tony wrinkled his nose and looked at all of them in distaste.

"Okay, so what kind of dog are you looking for?" Jeff asked loudly as he closed the doors.

I turned to look at Tony, "Your dog, tell him what you want," I told Tony, nudging him forwards.

Tony groaned, "Quiet, definitely quiet," Tony told him.

Jeff nodded, "I thought so. What else?" he asked.

Tony thought for a moment, "Uh, loyal? And intelligent, low maintenance," Tony told him.

Jeff nodded, "Now you're giving me something to work with," he told us as he started walking down the hall of kennels.

"Any specific breed?" Jeff called as we followed him.

I looked at Tony, "Uh, not really," Tony told him.

Jeff stopped at a cage and grabbed a clipboard, skimming over the contents of the pages it held.

Inside the cage was a black labrador, who was laying in the back of its cage.

"This is Pepper, she's a two year old labrador retriever that was surrendered to us. She's low maintenance, smart, and she's a good emotional support dog. Actually, she's the top pick for when we take a few dogs to a hospital or veteran's clinic, but I think it's about time she gets adopted," Jeff told us.

Tony looked at me with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'll take her," Tony said, continuing to look at me with a smirk.

Jeff smiled widely, "I'll get the papers,".