Chapter 8 - The Bus

Ruth kept looking over her shoulder every five minutes, much to Jack’s annoyance.  Jack followed Ruth in the bus somewhere out of town where she took any of her belongings, the big bag of money included, out of the old car and loaded them into the back of the small bus.  Ruth unhooked her apartment key from the chain with the car key and left the latter behind with the car.

“I’m not leaving anything to chance.” She explained to Jack when he looked at her quizzically.  “Mama could have these bugged for all we know.  Besides, it’ll stick out in a crowd.”

“But it’s an amazing car.”

“I know but like I said…”

“Yeah, I understand.  But what if the police find it and find traces of you in it?”

“What do you mean?”

“You ran away from home Ruth.  What if they find, I don’t know, DNA?  They could link it back to you and tell your parents.”

“They won’t be any closer to finding me.  We’re leaving this all behind, remember?  Even if they link it to the apartment, I’ll be long gone across country.”

“If we’re lucky enough to make it out alive.” Jack mumbled, starting the van and turning it back into town.

They got home without any more attacks and started to pack up Ruth’s belongings.  They received a message from the other girls to let Ruth know that they had the boys, their money and all their possessions and were on their road back to Knoxville.

Ruth tossed the last of her clothes into her suitcase and dug out her laptop, phone charger and her old school rucksack.  Without thinking about it she took two fistfuls of money from her money bag and loaded into the rucksack, considered, and added another three fistfuls.  The rucksack was barely half full but the value of the notes was worth a lifetime of money.

“Here.” She said, after lugging her suitcase and laptop down to the front door.  “I want you to have this.” She said to Jack.

Jack peered inside the rucksack, his eyes widening, “What the hell?”

“I know it doesn’t look like much but believe me, this is enough to set you up for life.”

“I don’t want to take your money.”

“Jack, it doesn’t even scratch the surface, all right?”

“Why?”

“Because, I want you to know that you have a choice.” She gulped, choking back the tears that threatened to overwhelm her, “I’ve already been really selfish, keeping you here with me, taking you from your real life.  I want you to have an out.  This is your out.” She said, touching the rucksack.

“Are you breaking up with me?”

“God, no.  I don’t want you to go, I just want you to have the chance of a normal life.”

“Normal doesn’t suit me.” He grinned.  “Do you want me to go?”

“Not at all.”

“Well, then I’m not going anywhere unless you no longer want me by your side.”

“But if you get scared or it just seems too much, I want you to have this.  I know that you’ll have a chance at starting over if you let me give you this.”

“It really means that much to you?”

“Yes.” She breathed.

“Then I’ll take it but I can tell you this, I’m never gonna use it.”