Chapter 19 - The Trick

“That was easier than I thought it would be.” Megan said, pulling her fist free of the mains box.  “They all dead?”

“Yeah, it worked.  But they’ve got open comms.”

“So?”

“So, they know the boys are outside.”

“I’ll call them you keep an eye out.”

Megan pulled her walkie-talkie free of the clip in her utility belt.

“Live Wire to the Lost Boys, come in.”

“Roger, Live Wire.” They said in unison.

“Keep your voices down.  Virago is in the house.  Meridian and I have fried the outhouse.  You need to retreat, okay?  You’re being watched.”

“Retreat?” hissed Jack.

“Yes!  Don’t go back to the van, they might follow you.  Go over to the bar in the hotel behind us.”

“You want us to leave?”

“Not now!” Mason complained.

“Yes!  Now do it.” Megan hissed back, no-nonsense-like.

Megan found Nikita dragging all the bodies into the staff dressing room towards the back of the outhouse on the upper level.

“Eight of them rushed Ruth.  There’s one at the back door and another at the front.  One over by the plum tree two by the front gate and three more that I can’t see.  Not to mention the ones outside following the boys.”

“You got enough energy to hold on time whilst we take care of these goons?”

“Yeah, let’s just make it quick though.  We take care of these guys in the grounds then go after the boys, make sure they’re safe before we make our way in the house.”

“Do you think Ruth will be okay?”

“She’s been through the mill but I think she can hold her ground for a few minutes.  Now let’s move.”

They worked together quickly, taking out their targets and stowing them out of sight.  With time in Nikita’s control, they were on the street in less than two minutes.  Locating Jack, Jesse and Mason was easy and they only had one of the guards after them.  Megan zapped him with a touch to his shoulder and he collapsed in her arms.  They quickly deposited him with the other bodies before scrambling up the lawn to the back door.

The lights on the ground floor were all on and voices could be heard nearby.  Nikita investigated the open basement door which stood ajar but it didn’t look like Ruth was down there.  Megan indicated she would move to the dining room whilst Nikita moved on towards the living room.  It was empty except for a small cat sleeping on top of the grand piano.

Nikita jumped at the sound of a loud smack.  Wherever they had Ruth she was being hit again.  Nikita moved back towards the kitchen in hopes of finding Megan but she was nowhere to be seen.  A floorboard creaked behind her and relief flooded through Nikita.  For a second she thought something had happened to Megan.

She turned and jumped back in fright.  Advancing on her with what looked like a cutlass was Lola.  She was ushering Nikita towards the basement door.  Before Nikita could raise her hands to defend herself, a boot descended on Lola’s scull.  Down, down, down she went where Lola cracked her skull on the basement floor.

“Holy shit!  Wasn’t she pregnant?” Megan asked, lowering her foot to the ground again.

“Well, that would explain the massive bulge protruding from under her shirt.”