Chapter 18 - The Night

The party was in full swing now.  Ruth was smiling like she’d never smiled in months and Nikita was happy for her.  The champagne was almost gone as well as the beers and wine Megan had managed to procure the night before.  Megan’s iPhone was plugged into a dock beneath the TV and party music was blaring out from the speakers.  In fact, it was so loud that, at one point, when they were dancing on the roof they could still hear it with perfect clarity.

Luckily the night life of Memphis kicked in and you couldn’t tell which building was responsible for the ruckus.  They were well prepared for what tomorrow would bring.  After Ruth’s call home, before they started to party, they all sat around and planned their next strategy.  After that, they made sure the costumes were in good nick and their weapons well stocked and prepped before sitting down to a feast from the pizza parlour across the street.

Jesse was all over Nikita, not that she complained, and around midnight they went to bed.  His breath was warm and sweet on her neck as Nikita started to tear of his shirt.

“Easy tiger.” He breathed in her ear, a smile in his voice.  “I’m in no rush.”

“But what about tomorrow?”

“What about tomorrow?” Jesse asked.

“What if it doesn’t work?  What if we all just get massacred?”

“Hey, don’t think like that.”

“I can’t help myself.  We’ve had all these chances.  All these nights we’ve had to ourselves, wasted.  We could’ve been taking advantage of them but we haven’t.”

“Advantage being the key word here.  I don’t want to take advantage of you.”

“That’s what you’re afraid of?”

“That’s what I know.”

“I’m scared, Jesse.”

“I know you are but you’re going to survive this.  You always do.”

“You haven’t known me very long.”

“No, I haven’t.  But I know that you are strong and brave and just all round amazing.”

Nikita laughed.  “You really think so?”

“I know so.  When you come back then we can take advantage of each other.”

“Is there anything I can say that’ll make you stay here?  Where I know you’d be safe.”

“No, we’re a team.  Wherever you go, I go.”

Nikita sighed.  “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I won’t, I’ll be with you.”  He kissed her sweetly.

“I really care about you, you know.”

“And I’m crazy about you.  I’d daresay, I’m falling for you.”

“Yeah, well the feeling’s mutual.”

“Then let’s make a promise.  If we live to see another sunset, and we’ve dealt with Mama and whoever else, we ride off into the sunset.”

“Where to?”

“Anywhere we want.  The sky’s the limit.  We’ll take the whole gang with us.  One last adventure before you go home.”

“Tempting.”  Nikita sighed.  “Let’s just see how tomorrow works out before we make any solid plans.”

“Fare deal.” Jesse agreed.

MEGAN

After drawing the short straw, Megan got the early morning watch on the roof but was soon joined by an irritated Mason who brought coffee and croissants with him.