Chapter 11 - The Date

They unloaded their belongings and joined the rest to examine the apartment once more.  Ruth, Jack and Mason went to the kitchen together to survey all the appliances they had use off.

“That is the biggest effing fridge I have ever seen.” Ruth said, Jack laughed.

“Is this another cupboard?” Mason asked, pointing to the barely noticeable door to the side of the hulking fridge.

Mason pulled it open to reveal a set of stone stairs.  Mason darted up them before Ruth could advise him to be cautious.  He came pelting back down with a wide smile, his eyes a glow.

“You guys will want to see this, come on.”

“What is it?” Ruth asked.

“Just get the others and hurry up.” He said, his heels disappearing back up the stairs.

Ruth left Jack to round up the others and followed Mason up the narrow stone staircase.  It was just one small flight and a single metal door.  Mason held it open for her and Ruth got a glimpse of many rooftops and sky scrapers.  Ruth stepped out onto the roof, the sound of others climbing the steps came rushing up behind her.

There was many a gasp or “Wow” of surprise as they took in the even better sight than they had from the balcony.

“Okay, I just have to say,” Nikita said, moving away from the boys and over to her two best friends, “even if I die tomorrow, I’m glad we came here.”

“Don’t be so morbid, Nikita.” Megan complained.

“I’ll try but I can’t rule out the possibility, you know.”

“Why don’t you both shut up and just enjoy this moment.” Ruth quietly snapped.

It wasn’t the tallest building in the city of course, but it was an eyeful nonetheless.  Nikita watched as some of the tension in Jesse’s shoulders seemed to give in.  She could only hope that, in time, he would forgive her from taking him away from his band.  She watched, perhaps a little enviously, as Jack wrapped his arms around Ruth’s waist and left a kiss on her head.

“I had a pretty good rooftop view in Memphis but this is something else.” Megan said in awe, turning this way and that around the rooftop.

“You had a rooftop view?” Ruth asked jealously.

“Yeah, it even had a little garden.  It was so cute.”

“So what do we do now?  We might be here for a while.  Should we go unpack?” Nikita asked.

“We don’t all have to unpack.” Ruth added.  “Some of us could go bring in some food and such.  The others can stay back, unpack and have a shower.”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind going out to stretch my legs a bit longer.” Mason offered.

“Me too.” Jesse said, following Mason downstairs again.

“Then I’ll go with them.” Ruth offered.

Ruth used her en-suite bathroom to freshen up a bit before leaving with Jesse and Mason, the two boys she hardly knew.  She thought Nikita looked ever so slightly crestfallen as Jesse went with Ruth without wishing her goodbye.

“He’ll be back in a few minutes, Nikki.” Megan said soberly after Nikita explained her fears.  “He doesn’t need to say goodbye because he knows he’ll see you again any minute now.”

“I suppose I’m just being silly.” They spoke together, each standing in their bedroom doorways.

“Totally.  It’ll just take a little time to adjust, you know?  Same with Mason.”