Chapter 4 - They're just not around.

Dawson's and I stayed discussing our plans till the first bell of lessons sounded out. It was the bell for senior boys training - So Dawson had to leave.

My watch read 9:30. An hour till my first lesson. Great.

After Dawson had gone, I stayed standing in the hallway for a while. It was the only hallway of the sleeping chamber that was different. Every other hallway consists of six normal bedrooms. This hallway only had three - and they were much bigger rooms.

Room 1 was Dawson's. Across the hall from Dawson's was Room 2, that one was mine. The last room - Room 3 - was at the end of the hall. Room 3 didn't belong to anyone. It never had belonged to anyone.

It had me thinking - and yes, I can't believe I never thought of it before - but why were we different to everyone else?

Dawson and I usually had more attention from the elders in the town. We didn't even know them, yet they would bring us gifts all the time, for no reason what. so. ever.

I huffed and looked down to my feet. My boots reflected my face they were so shiny. I loved these boots. They were the only thing left I had from my mother. Stupid - I know.

My parents aren't dead - they're just not around. If you must know, they are human hunters. They gave up the safety of the school to hunt the humans. They gave up me to hunt the humans.

Maybe that's why I wanted to leave and find Anthony so bad... Maybe, just maybe, I wanted to find my parents as well?

Who was I kidding? They probably were dead. I had to face the cold hard truth, that was staring right at me - They had been dead for a while now - Deep down I knew that.

How? You say. Well...They used to come back every couple of months, I hadn't seen them for a whole fricking year! So yeh, there're gone.

Hot tears started to form in my eyes, blurring my view. As they ran slowly down my face I made a vow to myself - I was never going to become like them. I hated them for leaving me.

I pushed my back up to nearest wall. I slowly slid down so I was sitting on the cold tile floor. My eyes were fixed on Dawson's name, above the room number on his door.

Oh crap. His gift! I pulled the cute blue box out of my pocket. Desperate to know what it was, I took off the lid. The most beautiful necklace I had ever seen sat in my hand. With no hesitation I clipped it around my neck. The small, silver heart sat right between my collarbones. Light glinted of the small red diamond in the middle. It was perfect. Just like Dawson.

Pulling my knees up to my chin, I sat there thinking of Dawson. He was all I had - and I was so thankful to have him.

Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but they didn't get me like Dawson did. Dawson and I had our ups and downs, but he was special to me, in ways I couldn't explain.

That's all it took. Tears were now cascading down my face like rain on a window.

What if something bad happened to Dawson on our quest to find Anthony? I couldn't deal with that.