{2} Story Time

Amira Sarker

I woke up to yelling. I groaned and got up. It was five in the morning. I already prayed so I was trying to catch a little bit more sleep before school. I put my pillow over my ears to muffle the voices.

It didn't work.

I finally decided to get up and find out the source of the yelling so then I could give them a piece of my mind. Opening my door, I saw Baba and Tanwir arguing again.

"How could you come home so late last night? You had us worried sick!" exclaimed Baba.

"I was just out with some friends and playing soccer," mumbled Tanwir. Man, he could be so stupid sometimes. Who in their right minds would go outside in the middle of the night and play soccer? Especially while living in a Bengali household.

"At midnight? Are you crazy? Do you even know how unsafe America can be during the night time?" shouted Mum. I flinched at her tone. It's like five in the morning and my parents were already shouting.

"I know what I'm doing, Mum. You guys are just worrying too much," Tanwir shrugged off. Bad move, buddy.

"Worry too much? You didn't even tell us you would leave! Where is the communication?" yelled Baba.

"You guys should have just called," Tanwir muttered.

I facepalmed myself. He was asking for more trouble than he already was in.

"But you never answer! Tanwir, I don't want you going outside at midnight. You could have been reading Islamic books to increase your knowledge," said Baba.

"Yes, Baba," Tanwir rolled his eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, son. Your time here in this world is limited. So you should be trying to increase your iman (faith) during this time," glared Baba.

Tanwir just glared at him and went back to his room, making sure to slam the door hard. Geez, what's his problem?

Baba sighed and went up to my mother. Mum hugged him and sobbed a little. I hate seeing how depressed my parents are. It was almost like I could understand their pain.

"Mum, he's just having a tough time now. I once went to this Youth Conference and one of the speakers said it was normal for young Muslims between the ages of eighteen to twenty-five, for them to lose their faith. Just don't stop being the good Muslim parents you are. In Shaa Allah (If God wills it) he will come around," I said softly and then turned around to go back into my room.

It was already six, so I just got ready to go to school. I put on my purple scarf with a pink top and jeans. After I was done getting ready, Baba came into my room.

"I'll drop you off to school today. I have something I need to talk to you about," he said before walking out.

A feeling of dread came upon me. I felt as if I was in trouble, my parents never had to give me a talk and the idea of being trapped in a moving vehicle with them as they yelled at me terrified me to no end. Oh Allah, save me.

* * * *

"I'm very impressed by you so is your mother. What you said today gave us an idea,"Baba started as he drove the car.

"What kind of idea?" I asked.

"You know how in most Muslim families the older sibling finds the truth of Islam and then is the role model to their younger siblings?" he questioned.

I nodded my head.

"Well, in our family it's you. You found peace and guidance in Islam and see what a wonderful religion it is. You're the role model to Tanwir now," he sighed.