{14} Rough Night

Damon Winters

Thunder roared outside. The lightning flashed throughout the room, harsh needles slamming against the window. The winds howled, whistling it's dangerous tune to all those who dared to step in it. Animals scurried away into their hiding spots, and I found myself distracted by the loud screeching from my window, the game in front of me forgotten.

"You did what?" exclaimed my mother from the kitchen.

My head shot up. Daniel and I were playing video games, up until we heard Mom's screams and shouts. The shouts were followed by a loud crash. I jumped a little. What on earth was going on?

Daniel and I ran towards the kitchen. The screaming and crashing didn't stop as we entered the room. My parents had argued before, but none were as violent as this. There was never night piercing shrieks, only mild yelling or a couple of curses thrown around, but they always made up before the sun rose and streaked the sky in its brilliant rays of radiance.

Although I hated how easily Mom forgave him, I knew that I couldn't deny the longing I felt for my father to be just like other American fathers, ones who became role models to their children, ones who were always there, ones who brought out the best in me.

My father wasn't like that. He was distracted by money with constant unstable jobs, relying heavily on my mother.

The first thing I saw was Mom's tear streaked face. Dad was kneeling beside her as she leaned against him on the floor, hitting his chest repeatedly.

Dad wore a tired look on his face. His hair was messed up, sticking out like static and stress mixed together. There were dark, deep purple bags under his eyes and his forehead was creased, lips thin from shame.

Mom looked broken. She screamed and thrashed against him, hitting his chest repeatedly. Her blue eyes were glaring ice shards at my father through her bloodshot tears and heart wrenching sobs. Her cheeks were flushed as she continued insulting Dad.

"Mom? Dad?" asked my ten year old brother, Percy, his eyes filling with fear.

Through all the commotion, I didn't even notice that Percy entered the room. I stared horrified at my parents, their eyes not meeting ours. They were absorbed in the fire that had ignited between them, their love going in flames from the mere sight. Mom pushed Dad off her with a strong force, making him stumble back. She stood up and openly glared at Dad, clenching her fists at her sides.

"Would you like to tell the kids or should I?" she seethed in distaste. Her eyes had an unusual flare to it. It was cold like an iceberg prepared for destruction. I've never seen such anger radiate from Mom ever before.

"Lauren, please-" Dad started.

"How could you? Did you ever once think of your kids and their well being? Tell me! Are you really that blind?" Mom screeched while pushing his chest.

Another clap of thunder echoed through the room as a hushed silence feel upon us. Mom's heavy breathing and choked sobs were all that was heard. I tried to speak, but I was frozen.

Fear overwhelmed me at my mother's state. I opened my mouth, but words didn't come out. My mind swirled with all the stupid things Dad could have done. I tried to move, but my limbs and joints stayed frozen to the floor. Dad looking at me with pleading eyes made me snap out of my trance.

"Dad, what is she talking about?" I slowly asked.

Dad opened his mouth, but Mom beat him to it. "He gambled eight thousand dollars last night!" she yelled.

My jaw fell open as I stared at Dad. He had his head held down in shame, not able to face us after what he had done. The weight of his actions laid heavy on all of our shoulder. The force threatened to shatter the strength this family had built for years, cracking the thin glass inside us. After the shock wore off, my fists clenched at my sides as I felt my blood boil.