{23} Snow Drugged Emotions

Damon Winters

It was finally March. Sunlight poured from the sky, touching the soft ridges of branches that were covered in a blanket of snow. White specks of dust fluttered towards my window as I squinted my eyes on the road.

The shimmering snow glittered, untouched and begging for attention. The air was frosty, freezing to the point where I could see my breath, but nonetheless, was a sight for sore eyes. Bits of green peeked through their winter caps, a sleek glaze of white frosting the suburban roads as fur-lined coats populated the streets.

Every time I stopped by a red light, I found myself admiring the crystal flakes that drifted with the wind, following a gentle wind through denuded trees. I found comfort in the soft bits of snow we had received, relishing the peace that came with a gentle storm.

As I drove through lanes, all that was on my mind was Amira. I couldn't get her out of my mind anymore. It was not just attraction towards her, but so much more. She wasn't perfect, but she was perfect for me. Just like the flurries outside, Amira eased my worries away. She was the calm to my chaos.

She was smart, sweet, caring, had strong morals, modest, and had the most beautiful eyes. A strong string pulled us toward each other, where everyone else became a blur. Only Amira consumed my thoughts and mind like a drug. I sighed. 

Oh Amira, you have no idea how much I want you, I thought.

After I parked my car, I walked to my locker before heading towards my first period class. As I walked into history, I saw Amira's maroon colored head scarf elegantly wrapped around her head. 

Her fingers vigorously scribbled something down , her head bent low and face twisted in concentration. Without realizing, I walked towards her. She didn't notice me as she was so into what she was writing.

"Hey," I said softly.

Amira jumped and looked up at me. Her warm brown eyes looked so welcoming like they were beckoning me towards her, tempting me with an aching need to be loved. She quickly averted her eyes to the ground and muttered to herself.

"So what are you writing?" I asked as I leaned over her desk to look.

Her body tensed, clenching her hands into fists. Breathing in deeply, she sighed, her long eyelashes covering the eyes that haunted me in my slumber. I couldn't help but want to wrap my arms around her and pull her closer to my chest. I was just about to do that when my eyes landed on her writing, and I froze, suddenly catching every word.

Whisper whisper,

In through the ears,

Right to the heart,

Quiet as can be,

Lips that never tell,

A fragile girl,

Covered in another's tale,

Acts as if she is at ease,

But it's a lie,

Worries surround her,

Pain chases after her,

She has no idea how to escape,

Secrets cover her,

Her soft lips seal them away,

No one knows,

What's hidden inside.

I stared at Amira in shock. She looked away from me, almost embarrassed at the pure masterpiece that she created. This girl in her poem reminded me of her. There were so many secrets to Amira that I had yet to discover. Could it be that Amira's past was really rough? What were the secrets that she concealed so easily?