{12} Allah's Love

Amira Sarker

My alarm started beeping. I groaned as I gazed at my clock. It was Fajr (dawn prayer). My eyes still felt drowsy, maybe five more minutes would be okay. My head fell back against my soft fluffy pillow.

I hugged the comforter closer to my body. As I felt sleep overwhelm me again a voice in my head wouldn't stop alerting me of prayer. I tried to ignore it and immediately felt the guilt creep up on me.

I jolted up. I was a Muslim. I was made to worship Allah. I mean, how was I better than a non-believer if I didn't pray my daily prayers? I could go to sleep right after.

I dragged my feet to the bathroom and made wudu (ablution), then brushed my teeth. After I was done, I yawned as I pulled a prayer mat out and wrapped a scarf around my head, and started my prayer.

* * * *

I decided to stay up because I couldn't fall asleep. The house was quiet, only soft snores were heard, small birds chirped outside. They sang their morning melodies, awaking the world around them. I looked out my window and saw the sun rising. The orange color filled me with warmth.

"Beautiful. Isn't it?" a voice said behind me.

I turned around and came face to face with Baba. His beard was getting some gray hair in it. It saddened me how as I got older so did he. Soon he would be gone, and away from me. Baba walked to stand next to me as he stared out through the clear glass.

"I always found it spectacular on how only Allah could make such perfect creations. We, humans, try to recreate them, but tell me truly. Do they ever equal to this beauty?" he asked looking at me with a soft gaze. "Do we ever appreciate life when it is beautiful?"

"I suppose not."

"Nothing is truly ugly in this world, Amira. Allah has made all his creations perfect. Always remember that," he said as he turned around, getting ready for work.

I looked back at the sun. He was right. Only Allah could create such perfect things, not even humans could recreate it. It reminded me of the words that she used to tell me so long ago.

From my father's light sniffles, I knew he was remembering his lost child again, his eldest, his once pride and joy. A void burned darkness through all of us, but we knew this was a time of tests. Allah gave those He loved the most difficult trials of faith, to test their limits, to see how far their faith in Him could go. Allah would never give His servants a task they couldn't handle.

This trial of mine was something I could handle as well. I just had to keep trying.

* * * *

Damon: I'm bored. Entertain me peasant.

My jaw fell. This boy was always full of surprises. First, he was cautious, almost fearful of me, then he insulted me, and now he was as carefree as every highschool senior. There were too many sides to Damon.

Me: Excuse u? How dare u call me a peasant?

Damon: I dared myself. Now entertain me.

Me: Forget u.

Damon: What the hell is wrong with u?

Me: Nothing?

Damon: Nevermind. Today my 13 year old bro challenged me to a soccer match. Guess who won.

Me: Ur bro XD

Damon: Do u really think a 13 year old could beat me? Come on sweetheart. Use that pretty little brain of urs.

My heart did a little flip. Darn the ways he makes me feel.