Chapter Twenty-Two: Being Gullible Might Be a Good Thing

The doorbell rang, making me jump, startled. I put a hand on my chest, trying to calm my racing heart as I stood up to open the door. When I opened the door, revealing Miranda, Suzanne and Evan, I immediately groaned quietly, hoping they couldn’t hear. But of course, they did.

            Miranda immediately scowled at me. “No groans, Victoria. You’re thanking us later.”

            I glared at her. “Yeah, right. I am so going to thank you by killing you.”

            She just rolled her eyes at me. Suzanne, however, smiled comfortingly at me. “You need to go in this beach trip, Victoria. It’s not everyday you could go to a beach trip.”

            “Whatever.”

            Suddenly, Vince was on my side, clapping my shoulder—supposedly in a comforting way but to me, was annoying. “My girlfriend is right, Victoria. Cheer up.”

            With that, he moved to the side of Suzanne, making her blush and giggle. I smiled at them. Both of them look so cute and perfect together that it makes me so jealous. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for my brother and best friend that they found their ‘The One’, but I’m still sad that I can’t do that with the person that I love.

            However, Suzanne and Vince can’t spread their cuteness at school. Some people might take it the wrong way and maybe Vince would get fired because of dating a student. But in my opinion, they’re doing nothing wrong. And it’s not like Vince is a teacher or something. He’s just a coach of the football team. He doesn’t even teach Phys Ed so no harm done. But Suzanne and Vince want to be careful so they’re keeping their relationship secret—except for me, Miranda, Evan and well, Ian.

            Evan’s joining the beach trip, too. Mrs. York said that every character can bring one friend with them. In our case, Suzanne will bring Miranda and I will bring Evan, thinking that Miranda might be lonely. Vince is coming, too, since he’s chaperoning the beach trip so Suzanne won’t be lonely, too. I, on the other hand, will be.

            I know that Ian is coming with us but he’s going to the beach house on his car and he doesn’t know that Evan is going to go so that’ll be a big shock to him. Anyway, we’re using Miranda’s truck going there. The beach house, named Carmelita, is two and a half hours ride from my house.

            “So are we ready?” Evan asked, beaming excitedly. “I don’t want to be late and join high school teenagers in their beach trips! I’ve never been to an American high school, only British. I wonder how things work here.”   

            “American schools are not boarding schools, Evan,” Miranda said, helping me with my things.

            Evan scowled. “Not all British schools are boarding schools, Miranda.”

            “Really? That’s new information,” Miranda said, looking absolutely shocked.

            “It’s all thanks to JK Rowling, making people think that all British schools are boarding schools,” he said, laughing.

            Miranda’s truck can fit six people. Three people in the front and three people at the back. In this case, Miranda is sitting at the front with Suzanne and Vince while I sit with Evan. I think they were planning this or something. I have a feeling Evan would like to talk to me about his brother.

            When everybody was settled, Miranda started the engine and began to drive. At first, I was talking with Suzanne in the front about random things. Vince’s eyes were closed, his hand enveloped with Suzanne’s. He was smiling slightly as he slept during the ride. Evan was listening in his music on his iPod while I talk with Suzanne. After thirty minutes, she decided to sleep.