Chapter Fourteen: Our Very First Kiss - Very Public

Days quickly passed along and before I knew it, it’s already Saturday, the day of the play. I went to the parlor with Suzanne after we ate lunch with Miranda. Apparently, Miranda will just wear a plain white outfit, like all the narrators will wear.

            Anyway, after being in the parlor with Suzanne, we went to the school and on our way to the Theater Room, we decided to take the back door since the guests were going to arrive at the front door. The make up people—who were our classmates, too—did their job on our faces. Fortunately, I look okay.

            My hair looks good, too. It was up in an elegant way and my bangs were falling down on my forehead neatly. I smiled at my reflection. I look good now and I wasn’t even in my costume yet.

            The door suddenly opened and in came Mrs. York, bringing a bunch of heavy ball gowns on her arm. “Here, this is your dress,” she said, tossing me a big heavy Victorian dress. “Let me look at you.” She looked up at me and smiled. “You look beautiful, Ms. Strauss. I better warn Mr. Jones to concentrate on his lines because I’m sure he’ll forget it when he looks at you!”

            I blushed and laughed. “Yes, you do that,” I joked and the both of us laughed.

            She left the room and I stripped down my clothes and slipped on the heavy Victorian dress. I glanced at the mirror nervously and breathed a sigh of relief. The beige dress looks okay on me, even though I really look uncomfortable wearing it. “Well, Victoria, look at you,” a familiar voice said.

            I turned and saw Vince, grinning at me. I smiled nervously. “Do I look okay? The dress is a little bit scratchy and tight.”

            “I bought a bouquet of flowers,” he said, handing me a bouquet of colorful flowers. “I know that you like colorful flowers so I bought every color.” We laughed. “And as for what you look like now… I got to admit. You look hot in that Victorian dress.”

            I laughed and grabbed the bouquet out of his hands. “Thank you for this,” I said, smiling gratefully. My brother can be really sweet when he wants to. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed his left hand was still on his back. I turned and saw him hiding something from me. I raised an eyebrow. “Are you hiding something?”

            “What? No.”

            “Seriously, Vince.”

            He sighed. He revealed his left hand. “I’m going to give this to Suzanne. Do you think she would like it?”

            On his left hand, was a beautiful red rose. It wasn’t elegant or something but it was really sweet. “Oh my gosh, she would like that, Vince.” Then I looked at him, smirking. “You like her, don’t you?”

            “What are you talking about? ‘Course not.”

            “Don’t lie.”

            Vince rolled his eyes. “Fine! I do like her. I know it’s been a long time since I’ve met her but… I just noticed how pretty and mature she is now after that scene in the kitchen… You know…”

            I nodded. “Yep, I know.” I grinned. “You better get in her room. It’s beside mine.”

            “I know. Mrs. York told me. So… good luck in this play, Ms. Elizabeth Bennet,” he said, winking.

            I rolled my eyes as he closed the door when he left. I slipped on my two-inched white heels and looked at myself in the mirror one last time. I took a deep breath as I muttered my lines under my breath. I do have a lot of lines but how I managed to memorize it in two weeks, I don’t know.