Prologue: My Boyfriend Cheated On Me - Ouch.

“Happy birthday, Victoria!” cried my two best friends.

            I rolled my eyes. “How many times did you greet me today?” I asked.

            Suzanne, the blonde and the most mature in our group, grinned. “Seventeen times!” she chirped. “You know… for good luck! One more year and you’re going to be eighteen. You can go to jail next year!”

            Miranda, the brunette and the loudest in our group, laughed at Suzanne’s last comment. “Hell yeah!” she said and clapped hands with Suzanne. “Nice one, Suze.”

            I suppressed a smile. “Should I really be happy with that?” I asked.

            Suzanne got up from my bed and grabbed the Cheetos. “Cheer up!” she urged. “You’re so grumpy today. And it’s your birthday. What’s up?”

            I glanced at my phone and sighed sadly. “Lance didn’t call me yet.”

            “Busy, maybe?” Miranda suggested and popped a bubblegum she created. “Why don’t you call him? It’s Friday, Victoria. He won’t be busy like the other days.”

            “I want him to call first!” I insisted. “It’s just right! He’s the freaking guy!”

            Suzanne cleared her throat. “Pride,” she muttered. “A lot of relationships were broken about that.”

            I looked away. Suzanne was right. I should call him. I wouldn’t let my pride ruin our two-year-relationship. “Fine,” I said, picking up my phone and dialing him. “Here goes nothing!”

            I took a deep breath and put my phone on my right ear. A couple of seconds after, a husky male voice mumbled, “Yeah?”

            “Lance, it’s me,” I said.

            “Victoria?” Lance said, surprised. “Why are you calling me?”

            “Don’t you remember anything?”

            “About what?”

            “What today is?”

            “February Fourteenth.”

            “And?”

            “Valentine’s Day,” Lance said, realization creeping from his voice. “Oh heck, I forgot! Happy Valentines, baby! I’ll be visiting tomorrow. I promise.”

            “What?” I said, my eyes narrowing. Doesn’t he remember that my birthday is today? What is going on with him?

            “You don’t want me to visit?”

            “No, it’s not that,” I said and took a deep breath. “You don’t remember it’s my birthday? February Fourteenth?”

            “What?! It is?!”

            I shrugged, even though he couldn’t see me. “Yeah,” I said in a quiet voice.

            “Shit, I’m sorry, Victoria!” Lance said sincerely. “I’ll go there tomorrow. I’ll bring you presents and stuff you like! We can even go to the beach tomorrow. Just you and I.”

            “Okay,” I said, smiling tightly.

            “Happy birthday, sweetheart,” Lance whispered.