Chapter Nine: Two Guys Fighting For Me... HELP!

Ian’s eyes widened when he told me that the guy with us was my ex-boyfriend, Lance. Then he looked up at him. I was a little taken aback because of Ian’s expression. Never have I imagined that he would glare like that to someone.

            “So,” Ian said nonchalantly, “you’re the bastard Lance that cheated on Victoria.”

            Lance glared at Ian. “And who are you? Her new boyfriend?” He looked at me and frowned. “You had another boyfriend after a month? You moved on that fast? Huh.”

            My jaw dropped at his remark. It’s as if I was the one who cheated on him! It’s as if I was the one who ruined our relationship! It’s as if I was the one who gave up first!

            “How dare you say that,” I said coldly, my voice dangerously low. Ian’s head snapped back at me, his face surprised. Lance continued frowning at me. I continued to my speech. “Was I the one who cheated on you? Was I the one who gave up first? Was I the one who ruined our relationship? Hell no, Lance, hell no. I loved you—emphasis on the past tense. And what did you do? Cheated on me because you were in fucking college and I was in high school? So what if we aren’t at the same school? It doesn’t give you the right to fucking cheat on me!”

            Lance’s expression softened and he looked at me regretfully. “Victoria…”

            “Don’t you speak her name,” Ian hissed at him. “You’re not worthy.”

            I sighed and squeezed Ian’s hands gently. “It’s okay.” I gave Lance a cold stare. “What do you want?”

            He cleared his throat. “Um… do you want to talk after my work? We haven’t had the chance to talk after… after… whatever happened on your birthday. I’m getting out at seven-thirty.”

            I gaped at him. He wants to talk? After a month? Why didn’t he talk to me last month? When everything was so fresh… “Why now, Lance? You had a lot of time last month.”

            “I’ll explain later,” Lance said, shaking his head slightly. Then he gave me a fake smile. “Good evening. May I have your orders?”

            “You’re not getting out easily,” Ian muttered as Lance handed him the menu. Lance gave him a smirk.

            I cleared my throat. “Ian… let’s drop it for awhile,” I said, smiling at him sweetly. “We’ll have a plenty time with our… friend later.”

            Lance sneered. “Yes, Ian. Drop it for awhile.”

            “Shut up,” Ian growled. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he opened them again, he caught me staring at him. He frowned. “What?”

            I shook my head slightly. “Nothing,” I muttered. After a minute, I gave Lance my orders. And so did Ian.

            Lance smiled at me warmly—a genuine smile. “Thank you,” he said and went away with his orders.

            Ian sighed in relief and raised an eyebrow at me. “You fell for that person? Are you kidding me?”

            I winced. “I know. A lot were asking why I fell for him, too, you know. For the first days, I used to defend him. But now… I think I should defend myself. Ian, I think I fell for him because he makes me happy and comfortable. He wants nothing but my happiness—well, that’s what he told me. He promised he won’t let anyone hurt me. He promised he’s going to be a good boyfriend. Too bad those promises came crashing down, huh?”