Chapter 2: Violet_The Mysterious Guy

The bell rang, and everybody, including me, Violet, and my friends Jessica and Abby, went inside from the playground. We were pretty popular, I guess you could say. I didn't really like it, though it had it's ups. Mostly downs, but you know. Or do you? 

My first couple classes were without Jess and Abby, but they were with Kris. Ugh, sometimes Kris is so self centered. He's my twin brother, but I don't know how. We're nothing like each other. He's older than me, always rubbing it in my face, telling me to respect my elders. It was almost like he literally grabbed those words out of thin air and shoved them in my face or crammed them in my thought bubble that hung above my head.

So first I had English language arts, then I had social studies-which I was best at. My favorite thing to do is read, so my fast reading skills and quick comprehension come in handy when we're assigned homework in that class.

I ran into Kris in E.L.A.-on accident-and he yelled at me in front of everybody for messing up his hair. Like I said, self centered. Completely. Self centered.

"Violet! Ugh!" He said, and ruffled his hair to what he thought looked so good. "What is wrong with you?"

"What is wrong with you?" I snapped back. "The only boy I've know who cares so much about his hair..."

"I'm not a boy, I'm a man." Kris said.

"Pft." I replied, and walked past him to my desk.

"Okay, kids," said Ms. Rodriguez, who just divorced her husband this year and is not exactly very happy about it. I was a bit worried on how she'd treat us... "get out your notebooks please, we're going to do a short story contest. You'll have all of class time to work on it. Please-"

She walked over to the board and wrote down bullets:

-No drawings, only words

-Use good grammar and spelling (punctuation marks where they need to be, use the right "there" and so on)

-Keep it school appropriate (No guns, swearing, ect.)

Kris and his weirdo-friends awed.

"Come on, now, it can't be that hard," she said, turning around. 

I rose my hand.

"Yes, Violet?"

"Is it under a specific genre or topic?" I asked.

"Smarty pants!" Alex, Kris's friend, said, coughing.

A couple people laughed here and there, and I just rolled my eyes. I saw Kris elbow Alex out of the corner of my eye.

"Thank you, Alex," Ms. Rodriguez said, shooting him a cold stare, and turning back to me. "No, Violet, you can do whatever genre and topic you want,"

"Okay," I replied.

"Keep it appropriate!" Kris said from across the room.

I shot him a cold stare.

He laughed.

"Any other questions?" Ms. Rodriguez asked.

Another girl, Katrina, rose her hand, and Ms. Rodriguez called on her.

"Can we type it?" she asked.

"No," said Ms. Rodriguez. "I want everyone to start working on it here, so no typing, unless you want to go home and write it all over again."

A couple people groaned.

"Alright, get to work!" she said, and I dove for my notebook and pencil. 

I knew I would write the best story, nobody else knows as much about writing as I do. Heck, do they know how to write in cursive? Do they know what cursive is, even? I bet Jessica and Abby don't, which made me want to laugh, but somehow I kept a straight face, and began to write.

*****

"Who is that guy over there, staring at us?" Jess asked, pointing behind me, and moving her blonde hair with aqua blue highlights from her face.

I turned around quickly to see a boy who had black hair and dark purple eyes. They looked like black with some plum colour in them, and they were pretty. Mesmerizing.  He was kind of pale, and he had black hair that hung a bit losely in front of his right eyes. He was leaning back in his chair against the wall. I turned back around.

"I don't know?" I said.

Jessica was a white girl, who really had curly, brown hair and blue eyes,  but she dyed her hair. I like her natural look better, to be honest. She was about an inch taller than me, I was five feet, five inches tall. I was also the thinest out of all of us, but I'm about ninety five pounds, so not like they're heavy.

"Girl, what'd ya mean us?" Abby said. "He's starin' at Violet."

I blushed.

Abby was a half-black girl with gorgeous brown eyes and straight black hair and side bangs. She always had this cute, ghetto fabulous style, and she always talked like that. 

"Yeah, I guess," said Jess.

We were eating hotdogs for lunch. I wasn't exactly a meat person, but I'll eat it. If I'm starving...

Which I was.

I forgot my lunch from home today.

"So how's Kris?" said Jess, taking a bite of her hotdog.

"Why do you care?" Abby asked her.

"I don't," replied Jess. "it was just too quiet for comfort."

We laughed, and then before you knew it, we had to go class again. 

As I was walking to math, waving goodbye to Jessica and Abby, I bumped into the mysterious guy from lunch because I wasn't paying attention.

I swear I turned as red as Superman's cape.

"Sorry." I said.

"No, I'm sorry.." he replied, with a smirk.

Just like that, he just walked away, leaving me to stand there, wondering what the hell just happened.