Chapter 46

A few minutes after the girls left, I was in the bathroom putting Neosporin on my arm where Lynn had cut my skin.  I almost jumped when a knock came on the bathroom door.

“Who is it!” I demanded.

“Ha?  Are you jumping, cuzzo?”

“Sorry, man.  I just had— a bad dream, that’s all.  Came to the bathroom to wash my face.”

“Yeah man, me too.  About Lynn.”

My face flushed.  “Oh, when was this?”

“Before I woke up.  It was weird, but not like last time.  This time she had wings and— wait, you had a dream?  What were you doing sleeping?  You were supposed to be watching me!”

“I was,” I said defensively.  “I uh, got a text from Samantha.  She said they talked things over with Lynn and she’s going to leave you alone.” 

At least for tonight.

“For real?  I don’t know, man.  Lynn seemed pretty serious about killing me.”

So serious she hesitated…

“Yeah, well, maybe she had a change of heart.  You know how girls are.”

“True.  I’m gonna head to bed.  My own bed, since I don’t have to worry about a psycho ex-girlfriend.” 

“Yeah, man.  I’ll be doing the same in a few minutes.”

“’Night, cuzzo.  Thanks for coming by.”

“Any time.”

I waited until I heard him go into his room and close the door before I went back to applying the ointment.  It was hard to believe he had no idea of everything that had gone in on in the past few hours.  How death stood over top of him.  If not for my questions and the girls’ sneak attack, he’d be the one with the cuts.  Except his would be somewhere vital. 

I passed the kitchen clock on my way to the couch.  2:28 a.m.   How was I going to make it through school after such an eventful night?

I laid down the couch and stared up at the ceiling.  My mind went to the one subject I didn’t want to think about:  Valerie. 

There had to be a reason she hadn’t come tonight.  Even if she was mad at me, she would have at least picked up for the girls when they called her earlier.  I wondered how long it would take for Alexandra to fly to Valerie’s?  I figured I would receive a text if she was ok and if she wasn’t, I wouldn’t.  The girls were delusional if they thought not texting me at all would make me feel better. 

What if she wasn’t ok?  What if the Hunter really had gotten to her?  Would he kill her?  Certainly.  What reason did he have for keeping her alive?  He killed that other Succubus.

Ripped her wings right out of her back.

I would kill him if he did that to Valerie.  If he did anything to Valerie.  Whoever this man once was, he now dedicated his life to hurting Succubi.  I would make finding and killing him my goal.  He didn’t have wings so I’d break his arms.  Then, I’d—

I exhaled.  I knew I was getting carried away.  I needed to relax.  I needed to fall asleep and dream—

“Of Valerie,” I said aloud.

Of course!  Why hadn’t I thought about it earlier?  If Valerie was in danger, she could reach out to us in our dreams.  But the girls and I had been busy fighting Lynn.  Alexandra was on her way to Valerie’s house and, if she didn’t find her there, she and Samantha would likely go searching for her.