Chapter 45

Once we were all outside- except for the soundly sleeping Malik- Samantha gave Lynn to Alexandra.

“Hold on to this while I think,” she commanded.  Her wings shifted into her back.

Alexandra did as she was told.  She held Lynn by both arms behind her back.  Lynn kneeled.

“What are we going to do with her?”

“Yes, Miles, in case you needed me to state the obvious that’s what I’ll be ruminating on now,” Samantha snapped.

My surprise quickly turned into irritation.  I was crucial in their winning the fight.  But far be it from me to annoy a 6’0 black girl who had just beaten her Succubus best friend to a pulp.

Ever needing to push the limits of my freedom of speech, I asked the question I had been wondering the whole fight.  “Where’s Valerie?”

Samantha looked at me with a sharp frown.  “I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t—”

Samantha shouted at the top of her lungs.  “Exactly as it sounds, I don’t know!”

Lynn chuckled.  “What was that about not waking the neighbors?”

Concerned glances passed between the other two girls and me.  While we had succeeded in Malik not waking up, we still needed to keep all of this discreet from the neighbors.  And, after a shout like that, Malik had every reason to be awake.  There was no telling when the sleep paralysis would ware off.

“I can’t believe I got beat by a ragtag group like you.  Two lesser borns and a human.”

Samantha walked right up to Lynn and swiped her chin. 

“I’d watch my mouth if I were you,” she threatened, her tone lethal.

“My mother won’t stand for this!” Lynn spat.

“Your mother is a powerless witch and the voice for a worthless cult!” Samantha roared.

“Shhh,” Alexandra whispered.

From an angle, I could see the violent look Samantha shot her.

“You know I’m right,” Alexandra said added softly. 

Samantha let go of Lynn and turned away.  Her gaze met mine for a mere instant before she looked away and started pacing in the grass.  A breeze picked up.

“We need Valerie so we can get Lynn to the Matriarch.”

“We could ask our…” Alexandra glanced over to me, “parents.”

Samantha shot her a look, and then glanced over at me.  “No, we’re not involving them.  Not after all this.”

“Are you guys seriously still speaking in code?” I demanded.  “After all that we’ve been through tonight?”

“You and Valerie are broken up.  Your cousin is saved.  There’s no need to tell you any more about us, our business is done,” Samantha said.

“Valerie and I aren’t done.  She and I talked earlier and—” I stopped.  That talk hadn’t exactly ended well.

Lynn laughed.  “Lover boy until the very end.  It’s almost cute.”

“Could you grab her chin again?”

“No, none of you will be touching me again.”

Kicking against the ground, Lynn propelled her captor and herself against the house.  Alexandra’s lower back hit against the back wall, aggravating it.  She winced in pain and released her hold.  Lynn bolted.