Chapter 42

I met the girls afterschool.  They had requested a study room.  Of course, my eyes found Valerie’s.  A mixture of emotions played on her face, but irritation won out and her eyes darted away.  I frowned, but didn’t say anything until I took my seat. 

“Minor details first,” Valerie began.  “We’re expecting Lynn to attack at his house.  The time is unknown, but almost certainly after dark.  That said, when do we want to head over there?”

“If we’re trying to keep up appearances with our parents, we’d have to go after dinner.”

“Or we could all say that we’re having dinner at my house,” Alexandra offered.  “Instead, we could head right to Malik’s house.”

“That works,” Samantha agreed.  “We can park outside Malik’s house and watch from the car.”

“No, Lynn would recognize our cars easily.  Plus, she’s faster than us.  The time to get out of the car and the house is time she could slit his throat,” Valerie replied.

I grimaced.  She noticed.

“It’s a cul-de-sac.  You may want to park in the next neighborhood over if she’s you’re worried about her spotting the car,” I said.

“Where will we be hiding?  On the roof?  She’ll spot us there, too,” Samantha said.

“Why hide?  I can ask Malik to let you stay inside with us.”

“No, I don’t want Malik knowing we’re involved.  The less he knows the better.  At best , we’ll intercept Lynn as she comes and take her away from the house to fight.”

Samantha scoffed.  “At best?  With her new demon form, she’ll probably be the one doing the leading.”

“Hey, no need for cynicism.  There’s three of us and one of her.  Our numbers will help.”

“Four,” I said.

“You won’t be fighting,” Valerie said. 

“To hell I won’t.”

“No, she’s right.  Even without transforming Lynn would still be too much for you.  You should stay by Malik the whole time,” Samantha said.

“Think of it as being the last line of defense.  It’s a big responsibility,” Alexandra added.

I frowned. 

Valerie made a face also.  “Moving on, how exactly are we going to combat, Lynn?”

This was met by silence. 

“Have you girls ever fought another Succubus in full demon form?”

“Yeah, it was part of our summer-” Alexandra stopped herself.

Valerie and Samantha shot her a look.

“Your friend can turn into a demon and she’s trying to kill my cousin.  What’s the point of keeping any of your other secrets from me?”

“Because when we’re done saving your cousin, we won’t be speaking to you about any of our secrets at all anymore.”

“Oh, now all of a sudden, everything is completely hush hush,” I said.

“Hey!  Back to the matter at hand,” Samantha cut in.

“To delicately answer your question, Miles, the last time we tried, we weren’t so successful.  We’re much stronger when we transform.”

“The Succubi we practiced against intentionally took it easy on us,” Valerie admitted.

“We all held our own.  For that exercise, I actually did better than Lynn.  I hit the hardest out of all of us, and I think that will be key to beating Lynn.”