Chapter 39

As predicted, I didn’t hear from Malik over the weekend.  I texted him on Saturday and called him after church on Sunday, but never got a response.  It was fine.  I tried to think about Valerie as little as possible.  A conversation about him and Lynn would be contrary to that goal. 

Sunday night I gave in.  I thought about her eyes, the smell of her, and her touch.  It was starting to sink in that we were actually over.  The past two months, the best of my life, were only a memory just like that.

I went to school on Monday a normal guy.  Two monster break-ups among East Gaston High’s royalty was last week’s news.  This week we were all looking forward to the end of the school year. 

To think, next school year I would be a senior.  I’d probably have senioritis the whole year.  I gave some thought to what colleges I’d apply to.  And what I could do to make my senior year the most memorable.  As it stood, it would easily be outshined by these past two months of my junior year.

Valerie and I passed each other in the hallway that day.  Despite the tugs at my heart, I deliberately looked away. 

I’d like to think that one day we’d sit down to talk about everything and laugh.  This was for the best.  She was a Succubus.  She needed to drain and her pattern was to do that with a different guy every two months.  I was yesterday’s emotional energy.

When I got to third period, I stopped lying to myself.

I wanted her back so badly.  My life would never be complete without her in it.  And not just as a friend.  Valerie Wingfield made my life more fulfilling.  In small ways, like getting me to talk more, like on that first day of French class.  In big ways, like making me ponder life’s questions like the true meaning of love. 

I excused myself to the bathroom during third period.  Shortly after, I leaned against a stall wall.  I stared into the porcelain abyss at the bottom of the toilet.  I needed to man-up.  I flipped out my phone and texted Valerie.

“Hi.”

She would text me back with a simple “hi”.  It was such a typical Valerie move.  I would tell her I wanted to sit with her during lunch and she’d make me wait until after school.  Maybe we would go by the ROTC trailers, maybe to her car, or maybe we would drive to Spencer Mountain.  I would tell her everything.  My issues with my dad, with my aunt.  I would admit I had trouble feeling equal with everyone else, but those days were behind me so long as she came back into my life.  Valerie would offer her token generous smile.  She’d kiss me first.  A light peck on the lips.  And before long, we’d be on each other, groping and rolling.

After fifteen minutes, I knew a response wasn’t coming and returned to class.

***

I had been to this beach before.  The waves crashed against the rocks, giving me a hint of déjà vu.  I dug my feet into the sand and wrapped my arms around myself.  I felt angry, betrayed.  This was different from the last time I was here.  Also, the sky.  It wasn’t so dark.

A figure walked from the other end of the beach and the dream took on a lucid quality that was typical whenever Valerie entered my dreams.  But I could tell from the straight blonde hair that it wasn’t Valerie.  She wore a green bikini under a white sweater.  I realized then that Valerie’s clothes never caught my attention when I dreamed.  This girl’s bikini revealed her toned, tan, athletic body.  A body so many wanted to touch.

"I kept trying to fall asleep, but I couldn’t.  I thought about looking for a kindred spirit.  And here I am.”

“That dream power doesn’t work unless you’re already asleep.”