Chapter 33

I texted Valerie Saturday evening.  It was the first weekend I’d gone without seeing her since we started talking again.  She did respond, although it was only to say she didn’t feel like talking.  At least I was making progress.  I didn’t bother texting on Sunday, out of fear of being rejected.  Before I knew it, the weekend was over.

I headed to my third period class on Monday when I caught a glimpse of Valerie.  She saw me, too.  She smiled briefly, and then continued on her way.  By then, I was fed up with not talking to her.  I had a chance to end this and I decided to take it.

“Val!” I called.

To my surprise, she turned.  She offered another smile.

“Hi, Miles.”

“I have, um, news.”

“Oook…”

I thought about how much I missed gazing in those hazel eyes. 

“I mean, there may be a way for you to still go to prom.”

Her expression changed.  “I’m listening.”

“My aunt said you could try appealing the AP’s decision.  First with the principal, and then with the school board.  She said the fact that you’re on the prom committee should give you a strong case.”

“Kinda like how we got out of trouble when we…” She paused, red tinting her cheeks.  “But that would help me.  What about you?”

I shrugged, hoping to come across as cooler than I really was.  “I’m not so lucky.  But it’s fine.  I’m more concerned about you.  I know you were really looking forward to prom.  And it’s really important for the high school experience and what not, so, you go.  Don’t let me be what holds you back from having a good time.”

Valerie bit her lip.

The bell rang. 

“I guess I should get going.” 

“No,” she said, taking my arm.  “We’re already late, so there’s no need to rush.  Walk me to class.”

Of course I did.  I felt the tension of the past week melt away with just one touch.  How I missed her touch.

“Going to prom would be pointless now,” she said.

I stared at her, unsure I heard right.  “What about all the work you’ve put into it?”

Valerie shrugged.  “Prom would lose its magic if I can’t go with you.  You are my boyfriend.  Unless… you’ve changed your mind about us.”

“Ha, that’ll be the day.”

“Good.”  She stopped walking.  “But that doesn’t mean you’re off the hook.”

She waved her finger as she said it, but her commanding tone lost its full effect because of her generous smile.  “You owe me… something... if you want to get back in my good graces.”

“Something like what?” I said, leaning my face closer to hers. 

Valerie pulled away.  “Oooh, no you don’t!  That alone isn’t going to get you out of the dog house, Miles.”

“Ok.  So, what should I use?”

Valerie released my hand and moved closer to her classroom.  She shrugged her shoulders playfully and grinned.  “I don’t know.  You’re a smart boy, Miles.  Be creative.  Surprise me.”

She walked into her class, hips swiveling.

Challenge accepted.

***

My initial excitement for the mission waned by the middle of next class when I came up short on ideas.  Due to the lack of divine inspiration, I went with the more practical route of making a list of Valerie’s likes.  Making out, human experiences, music, me…

I frowned.  So much for that idea. 

Valerie didn’t have to work on prom stuff for lunch today, but she instead chose to sit with her girls.  Which was fine for me, it gave me a chance to bounce ideas off of Jack and Phil.  Except all of Jack’s ideas were terrible.  After a while, he made it apparent that he had grown tired of the conversation.

Samantha was only a little better.  She suggested I join the rest of them for dinner before prom itself, and then take Valerie somewhere special while everyone else was at the dance.  That helped.

I mulled it over more for the rest of the school day.  I wouldn’t come up with a solid idea until later that night.