Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

Maya's POV

Water.

That was all Maya could think of under the scorching summer sun. Water and food. 

Even though Maya was walking under the towering forest trees above, she still felt like the sun was right over her head, burning her sensitive skin, giving her the worst sunburn she has ever gotten in her entire life. Her head felt dizzy, like she had been spinning around in circles for hours. Sweat dripped slowly down her face, tickling her cheek lightly.

Suddenly, Maya felt her foot snag on an unknown object and her body jerked forward, her lack of energy causing her to stumble along, almost falling before a hand caught her wrist and pulled her back up to a standing position. 

"You ok? Wanna stop for a rest?" Dazed, Maya turned towards the sound of the voice. Carter.

Blinking, Maya shook her head. "Nah, I'm good. Just thirsty," she pulled her hand away from Carters. "Lets keep going"  

Carter frowned. "You sure? You don't look so good. We should go find some water. I'm thirsty too" he licked his lips and looked around. Maya copied his actions. Trees, trees, and more trees.

Shaking her head, she sat down, defeated. Her body was beginning to succumb to her exhaustion so she gave in, letting her eyelids droop a little. They had been walking through the forest for hours on end, but still haven't seen any signs of human life. It was beginning to seem like a lost cause. Maybe they should go back to the white house they had originally run from. It was better than dying from dehydration...

"...aya....Maya....Maya!"

Maya's eyes snapped open, jerking her body awake. "Wha-huh?"

Carter was staring at her, his green eyes alight with concern. "I was thinking that it would be better to just turn back. Maybe they know how to get back home"

Maya raised her eyebrows. "So you trust them now? Even if they own hundreds of black slaves?"

Carter shifted uncomfortably."Well, you never know if they're actually slaves...."

Maya rolled her eyes and shakily stood up, painfully aware of Carter tensing besides her, waiting to catch her just in case. She shot him a look.

"I'm fine"

Carter shrugged and straightened, easily topping Maya's 5'1'.

"Whatever you say," he grinned.

Maya scowled at him and turned away, her cheeks burning when she heard his light laughter behind her. Jerk.

Maya stopped walking once she realized that she wasn't going anywhere in particular.

"Uh, Carter? Which way did we come from again?"

She heard steps behind her and Carter reached her side, looking  evidently confused.

"To be honest, I have no idea..." he combed his fingers through his sweaty hair and squinted at the forest greenery that never seemed to end.

Maya groaned loudly and was about to crash and burn when Carter suddenly covered her mouth.

"Uhmmff-!" Maya glared at Carter, but he glared back.

"Shh!" he hissed. "I think I heard something"

Maya's eyes widened. She pulled Carters hand away from her mouth.

"What? What did you hear?" He glared at her again and shook his head.

"Be quiet!"

The two fell into a deep silence. Maya strained her ears, but all she could hear was the soft rustling of leaves and an occasional bird chirping. She frowned.