Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Bens POV

Ben was having dream. Well, a nightmare actually.

He could tell it was a dream, but at the same time, he couldn't will himself to wake up.

He was standing the middle of a vast field, littered with what seemed like masses of gray and blue flowers.

Ben frowned. That can't be right.

Slowly, he glided forward to get a closer look at the supposed flowers.

Once he reached a mass of gray, his eyes adjusted to light reflecting off of the object.

He leaned in, squinted his eyes and saw--

a human body.

Ben yelled and fell back.

A human body? Thats immposible! W-where are the police? Shouldn't they be here investigating?

Suddenly, the field seemed to tilt.

Ben screamed and fell on his backside, tumbling down the bloody field.

He shut his eyes, willing this nightmare to be over with all the strength left in his body.

Please, be over soon.

He felt himself bump into soft and cold.

The field stopped tilting.

Relieved, he turned around to see what had stopped him.

A pair a cold black eyes stared back at him.

Ben yelped and jumped back.

The black eyes of a dead human being still stared back at him, relentless, merciless, pinning Ben down with its stare.

He had bumped into another dead body, similar to the previous one he had seen, but instead this person was wearing a blue uniform.

Ben spotted a badge on the dead mans clothes, and curiosity beat away the fear that had enclosed him earlier.

He slowly streched out a shaky hand and reached for the badge.

It read:

Union Cavalry, 1863

John Wilbury

Huh. Ben contemplated the name. It sounded farmiliar somehow.....

He looked at the mans face. It had young features, a person in his mid twenties and an african american. The man had midnight black hair in a buzz cut.

Bens eyes narrowed.

Suddenly, he heard a scream echo into his ears.

It was a womens voice, cutting through the silence of field like a sharp knife through butter.

"My baby! No please! Not my baby boy!"

Then, another scream.

"Mama!" the voice cried. It sounded like a childs.

The screams and desparate cries came in from every direction, piercing his ears.

Ben looked around wildly, but he couldnt find the source of the screaming.

"Mama!"

"No! Please! Not my only son!"

Ben squeezed his eyes shut.

Make it stop!

"Don't take him away from me!"

"Mama!"