Chapter Five

Chapter 5

Carters POV

Before Carter Holt even opened his eyes, a skull splitting headache hit him like a monster wave.

Before he even gained conciousness, he felt itchy all over.

Before he even registered that he wasn't in his cozy bed at home, a really strong odor hit him.

And it reeked.

What was that smell anyways? He's never encountered this odor. It was like rotten eggs mixed with...what was it......rats.

That was enough to get his eyes open.

Rats? Why would there be rats here......whoa.

Carter squinted his freshly opened eyes, his vision blurring.

Everything was dark. Super dark.

What happened? Where was he?

Slowly, his eyes adjusted to the dimmness of, well, wherever he was.

Soon, Carter began to make out dark shapes around him and realized that he was in a room. A very cramped room.

He was shifted his weight and pulled himself up to a sitting position, when something cruched under him.

Startled, he looked down and realized that he was sitting on a bed of straw and.

OK, now he was officailly freaked out. Straw? Who in the world still sleeps on straws these days?

Wearily, Carter patted blindly around the space besides him.

Straw, straw, more straw, and-- boom. Carter felt something cold and hard beneath his fingertips.

Probably the floor of this weird room, he thought. Then again, the material beneath him felt like dried mud and clay. Whoever lives here must be really poor.

Carter slowly swung his feet around the straw bed and planted them firmly on the ground. Cautiously, he stood up on wobbly feet and winced at the pain it caused in his head.

Sighing, Carter stretched his hands out like a blind man and walked forward slowly. He intended to find out where he was and why he was here.

Step, by step.

Groping his hands in front of him, he felt nothing until his fingertips touched something hard and cool.

Carter furrowed his brow. This must be a wall. But, it felt strangely like...wood. Circular wood.

He gasped audibly. "Logs!"

Carter was inside a log cabin! But....Where? There had to be a door somewhere....

Slowly, Carter began to move to the right, dragging his fingers along with him.

C'mon, Carter thought desperately. Where are you, door?

Suddenly, Carters left hand felt something soft. Fabric. Gently, he pushed the fabric. There was no wall behind it.

Carter licked his lips. This had to be the door.

Walking a little more to the right, Carter whipped the fabric away with both hands, and was greeted by a hot, summers breeze.

It was clearly night out, and the moon was blocked by the clouds, which explained the darkness. Carter could see outlines of trees next to the log cabin and began to worry.

Where were all his friends? Why was he in the middle of nowhere? What was going on?

All he remebered was a flash of light and grabbing someone.

Oh, no. What if he was kidnapped? What if his friends are all gone forever? Where was his family? They had to be worried sick by now!

Should he venture out alone and try to get home? No, it was too dark. Whoever owned this cabin clearly wasn't home, so Carter comtemplated staying here for the night.

A ray of white light interrupted his thoughts. Startled, he looked up.

The moon was out from behind the clouds. Carter sighed with relief. Now he can run.

He was about to bolt out the door when someone groaned behind him.

He froze. Who was that? Was it the cabin owner? If it was, he was in huge trouble.

Another groan followed by a, "Where am I?"

A girls voice. A voice he recongnized. Slowly, Carter turned around and surveyed the room.

There were three straw beds; one on the back wall, one on the left, and another on the right.

Wait a second. The one on the right. There was someone sitting up on the straw bed. And she was staring right at him.

Both screamed and jumped back. Sadly for Carter, who was standing by the door, jumped back, lost his footing- and landed outside.

"Oof" Carter gasped as he landed face up in the grass below. "Ughh..."

He vaguely heard a stomp from the cabin and someone rushing out.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to--" the girl started, but then stopped abruptly when she saw Carters face.

"Carter?"

Carter scrunched up his face to look at the girl who scared the wits out of him.

"Maya?"