chapter 1

Here we go again, first day of high school for the fourteenth time. My coven has always moved around but mostly stayed in one area. We always moved around whenever my powers became too chaotic. I’m a witch and the world is seriously messed up, at my last school I met about fifteen vampires and werewolves. The best part was they were all trying to chew my head off. As far as I’m aware there are no other mythical beings, so no warlocks or fairies or elves. In a way I’m kind of glad, being a witch is hard enough. Everyone wants you dead especially if you have enough power to destroy an entire species, lucky me.

Anyway, I walk up the stairs and the first thing I see are the cliques that have formed huddling around lockers hunched over cell phones. Cliques are rather stupid, what’s the point of being in a clique if they try to change who you are. Oh, well you can’t change who or what you are. I continued on my merry way as I was rounding the corner I smacked right into someone; I fell until I landed on my backpack.

“Watch where you’re going fresh meat or else.” A boy at six foot three warned me.

“I’m sorry.” I said as I got up and took a good look at the boy.

Instantly I knew that I just ran into a vampire. The vampire is wearing a dark brown jacket over his black shirt and long black jeans, I know that he is a vampire that acts tough but inside is kind. Great, my powers started acting up again. As the vampire walked away I couldn’t help but feel relieved, the last time I met with vampires my parents died.

“I see that you’ve met Alucard. He can be a handful at times. My name is Shawn.” Shawn said as he leaned against the locker wall.

Shawn stands at six foot two wearing dark forest green shorts and a light grey hoodie.  Shawn smells of werewolf, how do I keep meeting vampires and werewolves? I just hope that Alucard and Shawn don’t realize that I’m a witch, good thing we smell exactly like humans. The only way to tell if someone is a witch is by using powerful enough magic to cause a lingering smell, and each witch or wizard has a different smell. Mine smells like summer with a hint of linen drying in the sun.

“Hi my name is Lilura. Why is Alucard a handful? It was my fault that I bumped into him.” I said as I went to my locker residing behind Shawn. 

“Lilura, that’s Basque isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it means enchantment.”

“Alucard is actually a friend of mine, we grew up together but now we don’t talk with each other. In fact, whenever I’m around him I want to punch him in the face.”

“I’m sure that you’re bite is stronger than your bark.” I said unpacking my backpack and it hit me that I just made a werewolf joke. “I’m sorry if I offended you, Shawn. I wasn’t thinking.”

“It’s okay. Most people pick on me anyway.”

“Still I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted. So are you new to town?”

“Yeah, actually I am. My family moved from a very small town in New York here to Cliffhaven, Connecticut. What year are you, Shawn?”

“I’m actually a senior so I won’t be able to talk to you next year.” Shawn said sadly.

“That’s okay; I don’t know how long I’m going to be here. My family can never settle down; however I’m going to be a senior this year.”

“That’s cool. What’s your first class, Lilura?”

“Um, history with Mr. Grontch.” I said not really believing that was his last name.

“My uncle is pretty cool; I’m actually his aide first thing in the morning. Don’t worry about calling him by his full last name. Everyone just calls him Mr. G. Do you want to walk to class together? I mean that is if you want to.”