Chapter 12: just a dream.

Valt springs to his feet and bolts after Shu. His sneakers fly over the ground at an alarming rate for Shu. If Valt really puts his mind to something he can basically accomplish anything. He just wishes that was the case for school.

The bluenette reaches an arm out and manages to grab the back of Shu's coat - but then of course trips. Shu glances over his shoulder, but the smaller boy won't give up that easily and instead drags Shu down with him.

Shu faceplants onto the muddy ground and Valt falls right behind him, his face smacking into the middle of Shu's back.

The two lay there for a while, disoriented, and Shu spits out dirt, a distasteful scowl on his face.

"Let me go," he growls.

"You can't tell me what to do!" Valt sassily says and wraps his skinny tan arms around Shu's waist.

"I said 'let me go'!" The two bladers struggle, rolling over in the mud. Valt ignores the mud covering the side of his face and feels his feet crunch something against the ground. Shu's mask is accidentally snapped in two.

Valt finally manages to pin Shu against the muddy ground. All the training Valt complained about finally paid off. 'I should really thank Chris after this.'

The bluenette scowls at the figure below him. "You're always running away! Stop it! It's not healthy to bottle your emotions up all the time!"

Shu looks away from Valt's gaze. His eyes and cheeks are red and puffy. He looks like a mess but Valt couldn't care less. "I'm not always running away."

"Yes, you are. You ran away because you were afraid to love me," Valt says as he fits all the pieces together. "You always run away when you're scared or don't want to face your feelings!"

".....why is it that you're always right about me?" Shu says with a sigh of defeat.

"Because you are the only thing that actually makes sense to me."

Shu adverts his gaze to the side and refuses to look at Valt as he mumbles something. Valt tilts his head to the side in confusion. "Sorry, what was that? I didn't catch it."

Valt strains to hear Shu's words but his voice is too quiet. He can tell the albino blader is getting frustrated as he yells at the bluenette;

"Fine! I do love you!"

"Really? That's great!" Valt's voice cracks and he clears his throat. "I mean, that's cool," and he kisses a flustered Shu again. It feels like a dream come true to Valt as Shu smiles at him -

///////////

Valt wakes up with a start. His vision is blurry and is met with the hotel ceiling. "Wait..." he whispers. "This is the hotel in Mexico...."

Valt looks to the side and sees Rantaro and Cuza sleeping blissfully in their beds. He isn't at the forest with Shu.

The bluenette starts shaking, gripping the bedsheets tightly. "N-no...." he stutters. "Th-this can't be happening." The nights events hit him like a freight train in the gut. Valt never caught up with Shu and turned him around. The albino had confronted Valt and he kissed him, but after that he ran. Shu got away and never actually openly confessed he loved Valt, instead the bluenette had returned to his hotel room with a slump in his step.

"No, no, no, no.... It was only a dream!" he wails. "It was only a dream! I-I met him at the park, b-but he ran away from me! I couldn't catch up to him!" Valt drapes his arm across his hazel eyes, tears blurring his vision and streaming down his face. "Why....?"

///////////

Shu stands alone in the forest. He stills when he no longer hears Valt's footsteps chasing after him. A plop of rain lands on Shu's head and soon it is pouring, running over his face. Or maybe it might be from the hot tears streaming down his face, he's not quite sure. He only takes in a deep breath, drops the mask, tilts his head to the sky, clenches his hands into fists and screams. He screams away all of his pain, frustration, and cowardliness to the gray, puffy clouds above.....